Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, any opinions on the Sec. Six? I'm considering a blue 4" 357. Good, bad, indifferent all thoughts welcome.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
The Ruger Security Six is a great DA handgun! In fact, a 4" blue Security Six was my high-school graduation present from my Grandfather! It was a constant companion, shot superbly, and had a glass-smooth action (after considerable work).

Being young and overly invincible, I made some rather poor choices regarding handloading for this gun, and made a regular habbit of loading a stout .357 mag MAX load of Blue dot behind a 173g Keith (Lyman 358429).... in .38 Special cases! Yep, they bucked and kicked a whole bunch, and the original load for the .357 was from a mid 50's Lyman loading manual when they weren't shy about pressures.... then I stuffed that load into .38 special cases! They were accurate as all get-out, and smacked with authority, but after about two years worth of pounding this beautiful little handgun with that load, it became hopelessly loose and sloppy. (Imagine that!:mad: )

Anyhow, with some sage advise from an older mentor, and an immediate cease-and-desist-order from him once he knew what I was shooting through my Security Six, I returned the gun to Ruger with a note explaining what I'd subjected the gun to, and asked for a quote to fix it. The gun returned home totally refinished, reworked and tight as a tick, (but minus my glass smooth trigger). It served me well after that until it was stolen along with a Ruger 10/22 from my locked pickup when I was at a restaurant one evening.

The point of this whole rabbit trail is this: The Ruger Security Six is a great handling, brute strong (although I think the GP100 is stronger) revolver that will serve you well for many years. Mine killed many 75+ yard jackrabbits over the years I had it, a couple of deer and one spike bull elk ( a long story... ).

If the price were right, I'd own another in a heart-beat.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I've been shooting and owning a Security-Six SN range of 157-xxx since I can't remember. Mine is the 2 3/4" variety in Stainless, and I can't say enough good things about the gun. For many years it has served me well as a camp/backpacking sidearm due to it's moderate size and dependable punch. Whether it's loaded with soft 38 WC's, snakeshot or Full blown 158s, it performs predictably!!!

Short of my Model 28 Smith, it is a true workhorse! (short of that crummy Ruger trigger). if you get a good price on it, I'd tell you to not let it out of your sight.

Good luck whatever your choice is!

Chris~

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't think its a great price, but about it will be $270 out the door. I should say that I have a NM Blackhawk .357 4 5/8" and I'm looking at the Sec. Six because its lighter in weight than a GP100 (cheaper too!) and more durable than a S&W M19. They are not easy to find, despite 2 Million being built as I understand.
I appreciate the comments.

·
Banned
65 Posts
My late Father-in-law bought one and sent it to me when I was in Idaho. I carried that gun for more than 15 years and put thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup. It was accurate and tough and mine was in stainless steel which I really liked. That gun sold me on Rugers and I replaced it with a GP-100. I sold the gun to a friend because it was starting to open up groups with 2 shots going wide. He sent it to Ruger and they tightened it up, or did some kind of work on it and when he got it back it shot like new. I should have kept it. If I ever run across a security-six in good condition you can bet your bottom dollar I will buy it. Do I recommend it? Absolutely!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a 4" SS DAO that I bought used from a dealer - practically unused, it turned out to be from a special production run for the New York City PD in 1991 probably just before they went to autos. Downside: it is .38 spl not .357 but it shoots like a dream and the true DAO is very smooth. I bought it after 9-11 and am proud to have it especially considering the pedigree. I replaced the original walnut grips with Pachmayer (am keeping the grips in reserve of course). I think it is an excellent revolver. I like the sights a lot better than the little 5 shot Ruger SP-101, and the action is smoother.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Security Six

These are a great buy. I have two, a 6" and a 2-3/4." Off a Ransom Rest the little gun shoots as well as its longer brother.

I carry the short one most of the time, and use the 6" for long range plinking at the range when I want to discourage the spike-haired wierdos with their SKS's and AKs by showing them how easy the 200 yard gong is to hit, what's their problem? "

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." - - Bill Jordan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts