Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know Ruger produced the Single Six in both 22 rimfire and 32 Mag. My question is, can my Ruger SS in 22 rimfire be converted to 32 Mag?? My hope is to have the revolver rebored and rechambered to 32 Mag, then the firing pin changed over.

Comments......experiences???

Lobo in the mountains of West Virginia

·
Banned
484 Posts
I have seen magazine articles in which this was done. I imagine it would be much more expensive than just selling your .22 and finding a .32. They are around...I had one for a year or two and sold it when I realized it didn't do anything I really needed. Actually I had two, a Single Six and a small frame Vaquero (and they both went down the road about the same time).

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I agree strongly. By the time you convert a rimfire to a centerfire, change or re-bore the barrel and cylinder, and refinish (which will be necessary), you will be left with a gun that you could have bought for half the money spent - and have a gun you cannot sell, because it was so extensively modified!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
This has been done a number of times. These make very nice handguns.
It’s been said I often try to roll a 7 the hard way. I am a big fan of the .32 Magnum. These custom handguns have many enhancements which create a better handgun than the factory offering. Many of the single six Ruger 32 H&R Magnum handguns have cylinders which are not bore evenly and do not index correctly with the barrel. These problems are not present in the custom guns. In addition there are sight options and finish options which make the handguns unique and personal. In order for the custom firearm to be worthwhile you need to be certain of what you want and why you want it. If you have that part figured you are not concerned with resale value. A custom firearm is a personal choice. If you trade firearms frequently you will take a bath. If you tend to keep your firearms and shoot them enough to know them well you will get a great deal of pleasure from a custom firearm.
The Bearcat has also been converted to 32 Magnum very successfully.

http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/revolver/singleaction.htm

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/Projects.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts