Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a SP101 in .357 Mag.  It has the bobbed hammer.  Does anyone know if this hammer can be replaced with the regular spur hammer, and if so is it just a drop in part, one for the other.  If not how much and how complicated is the fitting of this replacement hammer.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.  DGR

Sorry about the double message.  New computer user, new bulletin board.

·
Banned
738 Posts
DGR,
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but I sugest contacting Ruger.  Ask them if it is doable.  
That way you wont void your warrenty if there is one.
Not having found a decent gunsmith here in Central IL, I can't suggest one.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
DGR

Like Jim says, you probably don't want to hear this, but...

I have serious doubts that Ruger uses a different frame for the DAO and the conventional DA revolvers.  This being said, probably by changing hammer & trigger it will work.  The problem here is that these parts are restricted to factory fitting only, they won't sell them to anyone.  That brings up the second problem.  If you send it to the factory they will repair it as it was originally issued.  They call anything else "custom work" which they refuse to do.

The bottom line in this case is sell the DAO and buy what you want, this is one place where there is no other solution.  This is the voice of experience, I've been around with them on this very issue.

P.S.

After reading below post guess I should have included the caveat of "Unless that policy has changed since Bill Ruger retired".

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
You MIGHT be able to order them from Gun Parts Corp.  I tried this same thing about two years ago, but at that time they did not have any of the "normal" hammers and I just got used to the bobbed hammer.  With a good Wolff spring kit installed the DA pull is more than tollerable so I just never checked back.  Anyway, check with GPC to see if the parts are available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for the help from those of you who responded to my question.  I checked with Gun Parts Corp., they do sell replacement hammers, but are currently out of stock.  I called the Ruger factory and was told that the hammer could be changed, $18 for the hammer, $20 for labor, and $20 for shipping, handling, insurance.  I don't know the turn-around time though.  Again, thanks.  DGR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts