Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks! Been awhile....glad to be back.
I've got a question for the 'gunsmithy'/technically inclined types. I bought a ( new ) Ruger SR-9 DAO 9mm a while back, after reading quite a few glowing reviews in the gun Mags. ( Mine is a post-recall gun; it already had the new trigger setup from the Factory.) The thin grip profile fits my short fingers better than ANY double-stack out there. And it shoots GREAT!
My problem is that I distinctly remember in a couple of ( early ) reviews that a big plus was that the design allowed the User to either keep the magazine safety activated/installed, OR, the Mag. safety could be easily removed to allow the weapon to fire WITHOUT a magazine in place.
Both sides have their advocates, with valid reasons, but I prefer NOT having one. I look at it from a 'Hurricane Katrina'/survival-in-the-boonies mindset....if the magazine is damaged or lost, I at least have a single-load 'one-shooter', VS an expensive short club. The Owners manual says NOTHING about this feature....just that the gun will not fire without a magazine in-place. I guess this feature was deleted in the 'upgrade/change'. :(
Does anybody out there know if (1 - it is still possible to remove the mag. safety, and (2 - How do you do it??

Mucho-Thanks! Lee.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Snook
No the mag safety is still there, Ruger will not remove that feature as it is needed to be able to sell the gun in all the Komifornicated states! If you must remove it I'm sure there is a thread over on rugerforum.com that will show you how to deactivate it!! Personnally you can still use it as a single shooter with the mag installed if you came up with a bad mag!:rolleyes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts