Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI" I am a big bore fan. I have been buying;selling;and trading handguns for 20 years.But I got away from my true love in handguns; Ruger single action revolvers. I plan on buying a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag with a 7 and a half inch barrel; to hunt whitetail deer next season. I do not hand load. Could someone give me their experience with a good factory load. All replies will be appreciated....CJhawk

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
Hi, I don't hunt with factory loads but my handloads are nearly identical to the Federal "Cast Core" rounds.

I'm sure these would work great.  Hopefully others can give their recommendations also.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Good question,
All I hunt with anymore is Marshall's cast bullets.  If I were going out hunting whitetails with factory loads, I'd use one of the following for 44 mag...

300 gr Federal Cast Core
270 gr Speer (plated bullet) Also loaded by Buffalo Bore I think
240 (or 250) gr Federal Hydro Shok
265 gr Remington (It's their Golden Saber bullet with a different name for their hunting line)
300 gr Hornady XTP

There are probaby a dozen or more excellent factory loads for mixing the 44 mag with deer but these are the ones (bullets, not factory loads themselves) I have some experience with.  I'd probably prefer them in the order I have listed but that's more guess than fact.  Heavier bullets usually mean more recoil while lighter bullets make more noise.  Find a load you & the gun like and have fun.

The other (and better option I think) option is to get started in handloading.  It's tons of fun.  Let us know what you end up with.

God bless...................  Bill M

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
That Federal Cast Core is a gas check round I understand. It should be an excellent deer load for Lever Gun or Revolver. Makes me want to try a box just to see and get some brass.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Also add to that the Hornady ammo with a 240 gr. XTP bullet and The Remington ammo with the 240 gr. Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point bullet.

I've used both bullets at comparable factory ballistics in handloads and can state that they are excellent performers.

The Remington SJHP bullet is really a sleeper. It is absolutely devastating on broadside hits in the lung area behing the shoulder. Full penetration with large exit wound.

I too am partial to the cast slugs now in handloads.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts