Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all
I just put a SBH 7 1/2" on layaway (stainless, used, very recent production, either unfired or not fired a lot.) Looking forward to shooting it, I figure it has to be a little gentler than my S&W .44 Mountain Gun (a far better 44 special than a magnum, IMHO.)
But the reason I'm writing this is to ask, Does anyone have a 5 1/2 inch SBH? I understand they have an identical grip frame to the Blackhawks, but steel instead of aluminum I also understand the BH and SBH are built on the same frame. Is that correct? And if it is correct, how is the recoil with the BH gripframe? I do wish that Ruger made the 4 5/8" gun the same way, so I could get a blued one that looks just like my .357BH.
Second question... Does anyone know if Ruger once again offers the hunter style gripframe for fitting from the factory? I heard that they did before, until they used up the gripframes.
Sorry for the long post, thanks for your patience reading this and your input.
Andy

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Andy,

I have a 5 3/4 inch SBH but I don't know about the frame and all. It is a 44 mag and it shoots real good with the moderate loads I use. Here is a picture.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Andy,

All my SBHs are 7 1/2" so I'm not familiar with the specificaiton differences, if any, between the 7 1/2" and 5 5/8" versions. But I have noticed in Rugers web site listings that they advertise a 4 5/8" blue SBH (see image from Ruger's site below). Unfortuantely, it has a non-fluted cylinder so it would have a noticable difference from your .357 version.

Dan

·
Registered
357 Posts
There is a difference

Andy -
I can't testify about the 5 1/2 SBH, but I bet it has the same grip frame as my 4 5/8 stainless SBH purchased a little more than a year ago.
I compared the grip frames of the 7 1/2 squareback trigger guard SBH to my 4 5/8 SBH and the 7 1/2 grip is longer. Long enough that I can get all my fingers on the grip, but on the 4 5/8 I place my little finger beneath the grip.
If you just gotta know for sure, call the the good folks at Sturm Ruger Company in New Hampshire, 603-863-3300. They will tell you all the differences and what grip frames they can install on your revolver. They will not sell just the grip frames. You must send your gun to them for fitted installation. As I recall, a fitted grip frame is about $150. And remember you will need to buy new grips if the frame is a different length.
I heard that the newly reintroduced SBH Hunter with square trigger guards has just been changed on the production line to round trigger guards. That's a rumor I heard this week from a friend who works at a gun shop that is a high volume Ruger dealer.
Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ruger does make a SS Bisley in a 5.5" barrel w/ adj sights. I have one in 45 Colt. I've seen one in 44mag. With the SBH, you will probably find that short barrels and hot loads will make you bleed, but the Bisley grip just seems to make that go away without those ugly rubber grips. After about 50 rounds though, the trigger seems to bite my trigger fingger though! 300gr bullets at 1200 fps. Just my opinion. Your hand may differ.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Different Strokes

Nathan -
Since you mentioned the comfort level:
20 years ago at age 36 I had my introduction to handgun shooting. My buddy let me use his 357 Blackhawk with hot handloads, and he was trying out his new 44 SBH with overmax handloads. He explained the loading manuals were all too conservative. Bad choice. I should have started out with a 22 rimfire. I think I flinched all the way home and decided I didn't like Blackhawks. I decided I REALLY didn't want to shoot a 44 mag because when my macho buddy fired his first round the SBH rolled back and the back of the hammer split the skin web between his thumb and forefinger. He hopped around cussing and bled like a stuck pig and I said something sarcastic like "Gee, this sure is fun."
I started buying and shooting all kinds of handguns, including Bisleys, working my way up to 454s, but stayed away from Blackhawks. Just two years ago I tried a 4 5/8 Blackhawk and was amazed to find out it is the best handgun for me! Fro me it is even better than Bisleys. Even with heavy loads. I guess it's just the way I'm built. The old saying applies: different strokes for different folks.
I owned a 45 Colt BH and a 44 mag SBH and eventually got rid of the 45 because 44 ammo is much easier to get and it's available in a wider variety of choices. I sure did like the bigger hole in the front of a 45. Now if Ruger would just make a really big hole 4 5/8 barrel 480 Ruger SBH .... :cool:
Dave

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies, all. I am not worried about the .44 SBH making me bleed, no matter the barrel length or grip style, as I said I have a .44 Mountain Gun that is lighter than any Ruger in .44. And I know folks work up some pretty hot loads in the .45 and .41 Blackhawk, which are both lighter than any .44 Ruger (alloy gripframe and ejector housing.) However between fun and bleeding is flinch, the reason I dont fire 200 full power loads in my Moutain Gun at a time. I do fire a couple cylinders full at a time, then switch to lighter loads to enjoy the big bore boom without the skin on my hnds being raw from the rubber grips. So I was more worried about comfort, which seems to be OK in the short BH .44.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Flinch Cure

Hey Andy -
Yeah. 200 rounds of full power anything is a lot. I have always been flinch challenged too.
After years of fighting flinch-itis, I discovered a cure that works for me and maybe would work for others.
In my 6-shooter cylinder I put one or two unloaded, unprimed cases and the rest are live rounds. I rotate the cylinder without looking and close it up and begin shooting. I concentrate on not flinching, and when the hammer falls on the dud, I can see if I am flinching or not.
I find that shooting just a few cylinders like that helps me overcome the flinch, even with the 454. I usually do that at least once a shooting session to verify if I still have the flinch under control. Mind over flinch :)
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
andy said:
Hi, all
I just put a SBH 7 1/2" on layaway (stainless, used, very recent production, either unfired or not fired a lot.) Looking forward to shooting it, I figure it has to be a little gentler than my S&W .44 Mountain Gun (a far better 44 special than a magnum, IMHO.)
But the reason I'm writing this is to ask, Does anyone have a 5 1/2 inch SBH? I understand they have an identical grip frame to the Blackhawks, but steel instead of aluminum I also understand the BH and SBH are built on the same frame. Is that correct? And if it is correct, how is the recoil with the BH gripframe? I do wish that Ruger made the 4 5/8" gun the same way, so I could get a blued one that looks just like my .357BH.
Second question... Does anyone know if Ruger once again offers the hunter style gripframe for fitting from the factory? I heard that they did before, until they used up the gripframes.
Sorry for the long post, thanks for your patience reading this and your input.
Andy

Andy,
You'll love the SBH 44. I have the small grip frame 44 you write about. It is 5 1/2" and has the BH size steel grip frame with round trigger gaurd. the SBH blue finish, a super packing
pistol. This revolver has the fluted cylinder like the BH and is much lighter weight than the big 7 1/2" large grip frame 44. Oh yeah, it's fiesty with heavy loads but the trigger guard doesn't ding my knuckles like the square guard does. I also have an oldstyle SBH 7 1/2" but I reach for the light weight when going on a road trip because it's more packable. I would just like to see the same gun in 45 Colt caliber. Good luck with the new one and good shootin'.
Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would put a Bisley frame on it if you are shooting a lot of heavy magnum loads. My SBH square triggers guard is terrible I wish Ruger would fix this

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,425 Posts
For what it's worth.... I used to have a terrible time with the SBH trigger guard. Thinning the front of the grips gives a little more room for my knuckles.... might help.

Still have a scar or two from being thumped by one!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, this post kind of got drug from the graveyard, but I did get the SBH. The square trigger doesn't bother me, but most of my shooting has been 240 grain handloads, one load about 1000-1100 fps and the other about 1400 fps. Heavier loads may change this, but the triggerguard seems to be OK for my individual hands. The SBH is a lot gentler to shoot than my 629 Mountain Gun, but I did have to smooth the sharp, misshapen factory grips.
Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also owned a 44 mag stainless SBH with the square back trigger guard.
My hand was too small for it and I got beat to death by it - drew blood. Tried a couple different grips, light loads, was still a problem.
In spite of my poor grip I was deadly accurate with it while hunting - not on the range because I'd flinch after a couple of shots!
Sold it, bought a Super Redhawk in 44 mag, which fits my small hand much better, and have no problems and no pain shooting it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I currently own a 7 1/2 SBH (.44 mag) and a 6 1/2 BH (.357 mag). I can't answer for the shorter barreled .44's, but the 7 1/2 SBH definitely has a longer grip than the regular BH - I feature I really like, since it fits my hands much better. I personally haven't had any problem with the square-back trigger guard (and I really like the look). The stock grips actually work better for me than some aftermarket grips (Pachmayers) that I've tried in the past on previous SBH's that I've owned. Even though the Pachmayer grips were rubber, they were thinner and tended to concentrate the recoil in the palm of my hand. The stock grips seem to do a good job of allowing the gun to roll in my hand, absorbing some of the recoil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts