Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase a Ruger 45LC. However there are a few things I want that are not standard. I am going to post questions on each topic seperately, I think this will keep the detail I am looking for focused on one thing at a time.
Who can install "adjustable sites" on a Ruger Vaquero? I like nice "Big" square opening in the rear, and a removeable front site so I can experiment.
Now for the big one! I don't mind paying a reasonable amount, but the prices from Hamilton Bowen or out of my league!
Thanks guys, changeling

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my experience gunsmiths do charge 'reasonable' prices for their services.  It sounds like you're looking for 'cheap' and i've never run across a competent 'smith that will work cheap.  If price is an object at all you'd probably be better off getting a blackhawk that comes w/ adjustable rear sight already [and then figure out what you want to do w/ the front sight.  IMO you'd be negating the main reason to buy a vaquero in the first place- the simple lines and slick handling afforded by the fixed sights].  

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slamhound, I appreciate the comments. I want the Vaquero with color case hardening frame. Thats why I am going this route. In regard to prices, I agree with you that good work deserves good prices (cheap I am not looking for), but Mr. Bowens prices are at the high end of gunsmithing prices because of his quality and name. I am looking for a gunsmith who is trying to build his name through honest prices and good work.
I think you would agree that there are some gunsmiths out there who would fit into this catagory.
changeling

·
Registered
87 Posts
Call David Clements,he's on the web.  He can do the sights most likely or get the frame REAL color case hardened for you on an adjustable sight Bisley or BH.

(Edited by KevinNY at 3:45 pm on Oct. 11, 2001)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not familiar w/ David Clements but i know all the local gunsmiths here in MT i've run across are usually so backlogged w/ work they can pick and choose what they want to take on and charge just about whatever they decide.  With an adjustable sight,  because of the topstrap you'd probably end up w/ a stronger gun if you start w/ a BH and got it color casehardened [if ultimate strength is a consideration].  

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Although I don't see it on their website anymore, Alpa Precision was doing an installation of S&W adjustable rear sights on the Vaquero frames.  They had photos on their website about six months ago of this installation, and it was really slick, being milled into the frame making a seamless looking installation.  

Here's the link:

<a href="http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com" target='_blank'>http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com</a>

Perhaps an email or phone call would give the information you are seeking!

God Bless,

Marshall​

·
Registered
83 Posts
Changeling,

For what you say you want, I would recommend getting an old Blackhawk( most call them beaters or project guns) and send it to Dave Clements.  His web site is www.clementscustomguns.com I believe.  You can go to www.sixgunner.com and he is listed in the links section.  He can do the case coloring for you and install the Bowen rear sight.  This sight will give you a particularly good sight picture.  They are available directly form Bowen and you could install it yourself prior to having the gun refinished.  These are much better than the S&W rear sights in my opinion.  

You will then have a good gun that is customized the way you want it.

Forget this "starving artist" mentality about gunsmiths.  You either find one up front that offers the quality work and pay for it, or find one later to fix the work someone who may have lower standards than you expected  has done.  It is a "pay me now or pay me later" situation.  And yes, I've been there...took me three years to get my Stalker conversion, saved one year for the gun, one for the scope, and one to pay for the work.  Worth every penny and every day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hitman, since I posted this I have come to the same conclusions. Do it right the first time! Thats why I like this site so much. For years I have shot my 7.5 Ruger 44 SBH with no regard to needing anything else (Probably don't, but I want it!).
Since you guys seem to value the Bisley frame so much, I drove to a gun shop today and asked to see one. One minute after it was in my hand I new this is the grip frame I will be using, it just feels so right! However, I know I will also change the hammer, to my mind it is one ugly mother!
I already found the "Clements web site. I have already asked him several questions. I'm getting there, no hurry.
Thanks for the reply, Changeling

1 - 9 of 9 Posts