Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide.  You all know more about revolvers then I do and probably have several in your holsters.  Here's what I'm lookin' for.  A single action revolver in .45 w/ 4 3/4" or 5 1/2" barrel.  This will be used for CAS and plinking.  A Ruger Vaquero, Colt P1840/50, USFA Rodeo or Peacekeeper.  I can only get one.

What are your druthers?

There's NO hunting. NO self-defense. NO pistol whipping. NO throat sizing. NO nothin' special.  Plain vanilla.  I just want it to work reasonable well out of the box and discover the fun of shooting myself.  Later, I'll worry about the other stuff.  If it needs doctorin' I'll get it done and have even more fun.

Cost is not a big concern, but it still enters into the equation .  I know that there are many other manufacturers of fine firearms out there, but I wanted to narrow it down to 3.

Thanks to all who respond and to those who just read this.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
Want to shoot it forever?  Get a Ruger.

Want to handle one of the most historic firearms of all time?  Get a Colt (or copy).... they have a feel and balance that just can't be described.

Pretty much boils down to that, in my opinion.

Can't afford Colts so I shoot Rugers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Two-Bits, I own all three of the revolvers you mentioned.  

I have a 3rd generation 45 Colt New Frontier, 4 3/4" barrel for collecting.  I plan to shoot it someday...., but it really needs an action job first - somewhat "crunchy" and typical of 3rd generation Colts.

I am currently down to one 45 Colt Ruger New Model.  Can shoot the fire out of this one - but it doesn't have the classic "feel" of the Colt, Ruger OM, or better clones.  Best and most durable of the bunch though, I use my NM for moderate loads(1100fps) and hot (1325fps) loads.

The USFA Rodeo is a dandy.  I love the way it feels and handles, the one I have is slicker than my Colt NF.  I have the 4 3/4" version - it is very lively in the hand.  Perfect for loads that run from 700fps to 850 fps.  Mine is quite accurate using CAS type loads (6.0 of TiteGroup or 7.0 of HP38) both using 250 grain lead RNFP "cowboy" bullets.

If you can find one (hard to do) the very best combo of all is the Old Model Ruger in 45 COLT with a 4 5/8" barrel.  Has all the advantages of the three rolled up into one gun (wonderful 4-click action, great quality, durability, and strength, and lively in the hand).  I had one once and in one of the dumbest moves of my gun-collectiing life I sold it off!  Oh well.

Odessa

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Odessa!  I just ordered a Vaquero .45 with 5 1/2" barrel.  I called Colt today and got an MSRP for the P1850 and it was way outa' my price range.  Maybe someday I'll find one at a gun show, but I'll survive.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Two-Bits,
I shoot Rugers.  Specificly Old Model Blackhawks.  Yes I know, they aren't Vacaros.  
I have also had Uberti made clones.  

And all my life I have wanted at least one REAL Colt SAA.  But the money was never there.  So don't hold your breath about some day getting one.

I said I shoot Rugers, I prefer the OM's because they have the old style action.  (I hate the NM action.)  My next project is a NM with a Power Custom action.  Some day.
I agree with Mike G, with proper care they will last longer and need less than most clones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts