Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, am looking at buying a general all round hunting riffle mainly for shooting deer. Am looking at the ruger m77 or the tikka t3 at this stage probally in a 270 calibre. Any advice, suggestions or thoughts would be geatly appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My Dad has owned two Rugers and despite trying to get them to shoot properly, they proved unsatisfactory. I'm sorry for those who own Rugers who shoot, and it's the same with every manufacturer, that some rifles just don't shoot. Both Rugers were in 223.

Dad currently owns a Tikka with a heavy barrel in 223, and it shoots incredibly well. The only thing Dad doesn't like about it, is the single stack magazine which is made of plastic. The single stack magazine is a little tricky to reload, especially in low light or under spotlighting conditions. The spare magazine won't load past round number three either. Dad uses this rifle for varmiting and target work, and for this, the rifle is very good.

Dad and I have got Winchester Model 70 Featherweight's in 7mm 08 and they've proved to be excellent. I'd have a look at one of these in Featherweight if I was you. They're very well finished, and their reputation is well deserved.

Other than my ideas, I reckon you've got a good choice in the 270

·
Banned
47 Posts
The Ruger is built like a truck. The Tikka T3 is well made, but as mentioned, with a few plastic pieces. However, a Glock is polymer too. The Glock is one of the most light, strong, reliable pistols made - and it wont rust. I guess it boils down to what is more important to you - the Tikka T3 is most likely going to be your more accurate rifle (barrels made by Sako that are chromed lined and require no "break in" period). The Tikka T3 will be lighter than the Ruger. The Ruger is made in the USA (if that is important to you) and the Tikka is made in Finland.

Personally, I like both rifles - both will serve you well. I have a Tikka T3 stainless in .243, and love the accuracy of the rifle. I bought it as a "tool", similar to the glocks I own. I personally do not like the matte blued finish on the Ruger and the plain jane wood, or I am very certain that I would own one. However, that is Ruger's market - a well built firearm that will last as long as a Browning, etc., but does not have quite the fit and finish as a say, for example, the Browning or a Remington 700 BDL, CDL, etc., and as a result, they are able to keep their prices down to capture the market that want quality in terms of function and reliability, but aren't necessarily concerned with finish of the rifle.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I purchased a Ruger Ultra Light Hawkeye in .308 back in May, and had a time of it trying to get it to shoot accurately (<1.5" @ 100 yards) for hunting. First, I had the trigger replaced with a Timney trigger adjusted to 3 pounds. This did little for the accuracy. Then I tried several different factory & reloads, which didn't much improve anything. Then when I checked the bedding, I noticed a hairline crack in the stock's forearm, which I tried to repair with some acra-gel bedding as I was planning to bed the rifle anyway. After noticing this crack; I called Ruger up and they told me to send the rifle back to them so they could look at it. I told them what I did (replaced the trigger & tried to repair the crack) and that I needed to obtain another stock. Got the rifle back in two weeks, with their LC6 trigger reinstalled and now I have a Timney trigger for a Ruger M-77 setting around! I really haven't had a chance to check it out, due to the hot & humid weather. I also noticed their factory rings were so tight fitting that I replaced them with a set of Burris Ruger M-77 Low Rings that had windage adjustments. Just received them yesterday and I reinstalled my 3-9 power Leupold scope. It's raining today so I'll wait for better weather conditions. Rugers are good rifles but you might have to work to get them to shoot accurately for you. I have another Ruger M-77 MKII (Standard) in .270 with is a great shooter. Personally I don't think they build rifles, as well, like they did 20 or more, years ago, unless you buy one of the "High-end" rifles that are hand built.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have to look into the new Rugers with the LC6 trigger. I lost all interest in the Model 77 when the Mark II was introduced. I just plain can't live with a crappy trigger and can't see any reason to spend a hundred dollars on a Timney. I'm told the new Rugers are excellent, but I'm long past giving the benefit of the doubt to the manufacturers or the brand faithful. I love and always have loved the fact that the Ruger is made in the U.S.A. by an American company. Also, shame on Tikka for letting the bean counters use plastic anywhere on the rifle. I think they charge us enough money to cover the cost of a few more ounces of metal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Between the choices you list, I'd not hesitate to buy the Tikka. More than 30 years ago, I bought a new Ruger Model 77 in 7x57mm. I tried every trick in the book and it still shot patterns rather than groups. I finally had a new barrel installed by McGowan in .270....... a 24" medium-heavy contour. Then I had a rifle that I could rely on to put the shots where I aimed them..

Considering Tikka's guaranteed accuracy policy and my past experience with my Ruger 77, the Tikka would be my choice.

Let me add that I have a "50 Years of 44 Magnum" Flat-Top Ruger revolver and it's everything that the rifle wasn't. Ruger can make a great firearm but I won't chance another bad rifle.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't know about the Tikka, but I own 3 Ruger M77 Mark II's. The two magnum calibers absolutely shoot anything you run down the pipe into 1 1/2" groups or less. Depending on ammuntion / load.

My 30-06, not so good when it was new, but as i have been breaking it in, trying different ammo, bullets, loads, it is getting better.

My cousin has a M77 Mark II in 270, and it shoots awesome, a friend of mine had one in 7mm-08 and he just despised that rifle, he recently traded it for a M77 Hawkeye in 7mm Mag, and is now in love with his rifle.

I have seen mixed reviews about these rifles.

I have had good luck with Rugers, Savage, and Winchester model 70's.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Is this a ruger bashing thread? I'm a little surprised to hear one person go as far as saying he took off the "too tight" ruger scope mounts in favor of burris....are you kidding me? A ruger M77 wont be quite as light as a tika, but what you need to understand about the tika is that is is not as tough as a ruger, and very poorly absorbs recoil. I have a m77 in .338 WM and it will out shoot a tika t3 my buddy has in .300 WSM... personally i would suggest you buy a ruger m77 and save money and get a tougher rifle.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I'm not bashing Ruger. I think they are a beautiful rifle, but I never owned one that was a shooter right out of the box. They all required gunsmithing costs. And the new triggers are heavy, creepy, and not very well designed. Bill Ruger would not like them either.
I have had three Tikkas, one T3 Lite and two hunter models. All were incredable shooters with great adjustable triggers. Who cares if the magazine is not steel.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Maybe I am just used to the triggers on the Rugers. The heaviest of the three is the 30-06. Although I do not find them that heavy. None of my rugers have ever been to a gunsmith.

I once bought a Remington Model 700 ADL that you had to drop a concrete block on, to get it to fire. Sold that rifle in less than a week after I bought it. Didn't feel that it was worth trying to get it to shoot.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I bought my son a new Ruger Hawkeye in 7mm Mag with there new trigger and he loves it. My Remington 721 264wm still has the original trigger and your right you just get use to the pull I have been shooting it since 1963. But in my old age it would be nice to have less pull and shorter travel.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
We have both Tikka's and Rugers . the Mark 2 ruger had it's trigger polished for a 2 1/2 ounce let off and is on it's tenth year .
The tikka concern over the poylmer mag is not a problem . Nor is the trigger guard . This material is now used on other rifles too and gives good sevice .

Both rifles we had to shoot in as they really started to show after we put about a hundred rounds or so through each of them before they really showed there stuff.
So maybe the Nay sayers forgot to shoot them for awhile before tinkering . Half the time it is just the nut behind the trigger, that needs to learn the gun anyway.
Oh yeah !! then it could never be the shooter - gotta be the gun.
So you might want to polish the trigger on the Ruger , since that might also hold true on a Remington and A and X bolt to suit your need . That ruger ring set up is about as perfect as a mount can get . Never a problem with scope site in as it has always stayed were we put it ten years ago , even after a few falls .
We have Winchester , BrowningA bolt, Ruger and Tikka in the safe and like them all. There was at one time a remington bolt too. Never liked the Savage with the heavy bolt lift on cocking , but they always shot good .
So get them out , work the bolts and see what fits you the best .
Out of the box I liked the smooth bolt on the tikka( can't beat that ) and the fact it shot out of the box as is after the scope was mounted, and needed nothin' else to be gone . All the others did get the triggers dressed up a bit .
Other than those two points it is more , do you like your Chev over the Ford ?

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Yep! the Rem and browning are too!! And the browning too now has a polymer trigger guard .
Tell some one with a Remington he needs a Control Feed .:)
Well, if CF werent better, they wouldnt even be made. not saying theres anything wrong with a PF, but it is more comforting knowing that you have that much more reliability in adverse conditions with the CF.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Is this a ruger bashing thread? I'm a little surprised to hear one person go as far as saying he took off the "too tight" ruger scope mounts in favor of burris....are you kidding me?
The problem with Ruger Factory rings is that the top part of the ring "snaps" into place and it is hard to line up the four screws. Also once you get the top part of the ring on it is difficult to "Square" a "Matt colored" scope. I switched to Burris rings as they are "milled" not "Stamped" like the Ruger Rings, and also they have only two screws on top instead of four. Ruger rings have too many screws & no windage adjustment like the Burris M-77 rings have.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
the ruger trigger design is so simple that i could talk my 10yr old daughter thru a trigger job on one. i've only got experience with a few 77's but they are as good as any other rifle on the market and would be my choice for a new rifle! the tikkas are fine rifles but i don't like the cosmetics of 'em...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The newer Rugers have better quality control on the barrels than the earlier modles, my money would still be on the Tikka as far as accuracy. Both are well made and virtually unbreakable. The plastic on the Tikka takes some getting used to, but it wont dent or crack-indestructable. Both guns have a very different feel so handle both. The new Winchesters are very nice in every respect, the Vanguard is also a very good buy.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Here's a 5-shot grouping @ 50 yards I made with my Ruger Model 77 "Hawkeye" Ultra Light .308 rifle. As you can see the grouping is terrible, and I am not a bad shot eather! What do you guys suggest I do now?? I receive the same type groupings with reloads too. Any & all suggestions welcomed. :) All shooting was done at the bench with solid rests.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.