Shooters Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,905 Posts
Lyman #50 shows a flat base Sierra soft point as their 110-grain bullet. For Reloader 15, they have 45 to 52.7 grains in a Winchester case. GRT shows the max at just under 80% loading density. I suspect the low fill you found for PV is the reason it's not in the books. With light bullets in a large capacity case, you always have to look hard for something that will burn fast enough to keep up with the rapid expansion in the barrel due to a light bullet's speed, and yet still fill the case well without developing too high a peak pressure.

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Lyman #50 shows a flat base Sierra soft point as their 110-grain bullet. For Reloader 15, they have 45 to 52.7 grains in a Winchester case. GRT shows the max at just under 80% loading density. I suspect the low fill you found for PV is the reason it's not in the books. With light bullets in a large capacity case, you always have to look hard for something that will burn fast enough to keep up with the rapid expansion in the barrel due to a light bullet's speed, and yet still fill the case well without developing too high a peak pressure.
Thanks nick. The Alliant Manual shows the MAX for RL15 as 49.7 gr. for a velocity of 3301 fps with the Barnes TSX bullet. The Lyman 48th gives the same recipe as your 50th.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I emailed Barnes regarding their 130 grn 308 tsx, at that time I couldn't get the powder suggested (ram tac) as the most accurate and wanted to use CFE 223. After a couple of days they suggested reducing the start at loads by a couple of per cent and work up from there in small increments, this I did.
Bearing in mind my rifle has a 26" barrel chambered 308 win I attach an image of 100 metre target that has all the detail on. Please note that my rifle is a ruger #1 and these loads were developed for it, they may not work in your guns. So the rule of thumb is reduce the start at loads by 5% and come up slowly. The groups were fired with a magnetospeed sport hanging off the end of the barrel. Black Wood Line Font Circle

·
Super Moderator
13,905 Posts
That may work for the tsx, but I would not count on it being identical for other brands or forms of solid.

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
300 Posts
Uncle Nick, you're 100% correct, I did include a caveat about what appeared to be safe in my rifle but like a lot of (99.9%) internet information/advice caution is the better part of valor.
I'm going to the range today to test fire some 308 win with a new powder, Lovex D073.6 which is an A2520 substitute and, tbh, I'm starting at the conservative end of the range to get some idea of the performance against the magnetospeed chrono I have.
I've loaded up some 147 grn FMJs so if the powder does as the makers claim, I'll load it behind my 130 grn tsx bullets.
It has one major advantage, it's about 25% cheaper than cfe 223.
The down side is there are only a limited amount of bullets in the maker's manual so there's still a question mark over the loads for barnes products.

·
Super Moderator
13,905 Posts
That powder is also in the GRT and QuickLOAD powder databases, if you want a computer load opinion.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts