Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently joined an outdoor book and one of the books I received was "Alaskan Adventures - The Early Years" by Russell Annabel, which is a collection of his stories, mostly from the 30s and 40s, that appeared in Sports Afield. Man, could this guy write. The Outdoor Writers of today could learn some lessons from the late Mr. Annabel.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Definitely. I have all the books I can find of Rusty's and he was a treasure. There was a book just published "Return to Toonaklut" which is a biography of Rusty's life. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but it is sitting on my shelf. Adventure is My Business, Adventure is in My Blood (?), Alaska Adventures and, I think, there is one more. All are great and highly recommended.

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aleyeska - thanks for mentioning the biography. I will have to check that out. Having written professionally for 33 years I can be pretty critical of writers. Annabel was very good. You know someone is treasured when you go to Amazon and discover used copies of his book selling for more than retail. In fact, some were as high as $600.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Personally, I rank him in the same class writer as Hemingway and Ruark. Rusty is the Steinbeck of outdoor writing, he can really create the atmosphere and scenery to take the reader into his world.

Jack Atcheson has a book, "Hunting Adventures Worldwide" that is very near Annabel and Ruark's prose. It is the only book that I know of that he has written, but rumor has it he will release another sometime this year.

Jim Carmichel is an exceptional writer also, I like his writing style much better than his predecessor, Jack O'Connor, and he may be the best of today's outdoor writers. Ross Seyfreid is very good also.

I have hunted a lot of Annabel's haunts and have seen some of the old dilapidated cabins he and Tex Cobb left behind. If there was anything to inspire such prose, the Alaska Wilderness is it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts