Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen:

I have a 10 or 15 year old inexpensive (I think CVA) muzzleloader given to me by an uncle when he got a new one.  He did not take good care of it.  When he gave it to me, the bore was badly rusted, as was the nipple area, and to a somewhat lesser extent, the barrel.

I haven't tried to shoot it yet.  I am wondering if it is safe given the rusting around the nipple, which is also rusted.  I thought about replacing the nipple.  The bore was so rusted that the rifling is pretty much shot, but if I could hit a coffee-can sized target at 50 yards or less, that would do for the 2 or 3 days during the primitive weapons season that I would get to hunt.  It's ugly as sin, but if it would do the job. . .

I scrubbed the bore a bit when I got it to remove as much of the rust as I could.  I left a pretty good coat of oil in it to keep it from rusting much more.  Should I just junk it and get one of the CVA Bobcats?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Ray:
 I'll quote Turner Kirkland, founder of Dixie Gun Works, on this subject.

"No matter wheather you have an old gun or a reproduction, no matter if it is a revolver, shotgun or rifle, any gun should be proof tested with black powder before firing from the shoulder. Do this by referring to our loading charts and load the gun with twice too much powder and two lead balls of the correct bore size. Then you will know the gun is safe to shoot."

"The above picture shows a shotgun being proof tested with the butt inside the tire with the barrels of the gun lying across the other side of the tire. A string is attached to the trigger and fired from a safe distance. But we recommend removing the stock from the barrel and test firing the barrel only by using firecracker fuse to ignite the charge in the barrel."

Bye
Jack  

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. Monteith:

I don't know if it's worth the trouble to me to go through setting up something like that.  I may take Mr. Stanton's and Mr. Gates' recommendation and get a CVA Bobcat.  I wouldn't think that it would shoot worth a darn anyway as bad as the bore looks.

Does the recommendation you quote apply to all muzzleloaders?

Thanks,
Ray

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Ray,

Probably the biggest problem you would have is the unevenness of the rifling with the corrosion. It would probably shoot pretty good if it were like a total smoothbore from a complete absence of the rifling from corrosion.

There is probably a ton of pitting in there too which is not very good for shooting lead projectiles.

You could try to clean the #### out of it with a bronze brush or some Navel Jelly left in there overnight. Once you got the heavy stuff out, then you could see what you have as far as pitting or corrosion left. You may then be able to do a little "polishing" by hand with some rouge afterward to see if you can make it a shooter.

Also, you may want to soak the nipple with some penetrant too before you wail on it with a wrench and break it off.

Head over to this forum also and post what you have for the heck of it. Good group over there. I'm sure in the days when people were restoring old guns to shooters there are some ways to deal with this.

http://talk.blackpowdershooters.com/

Regards,

:cool:

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Ray:
  I never have proof fired my second hand T/C Hawken flinter. Old Turner probably wrote that back when some of the imported stuff was pure junk. Of course, the real old ones should be proofed.

A friend of mine accidently proofed his new flanged inline muzzle loader when he loaded it, got to yaking, and loaded it again. Funny thing was, the first ball was still in the barrel, about a third of the way up. He figures it got that far before the second charge lit. It did scorch his scope a bit.

I'd take Contender's advise and ask the experts before you junk it.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contender & Mr. Monteith:

Thanks again for the excellent advice.  I'll see what I can find out from that blackpowder site.  If I can just make a "smoothbore" out of it, and get it to shoot well enough to hit a deer's vitals out to 50 yards, I would be satisfied for now.

Thanks,
Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts