Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my brother to the gun shop today, he finally decided he was going to get his first gun (a nice S&W M&P 9mm compact). I decided I was just going to browse, not get anything. That lasted all of 10 minutes, walked out of the shop with a S&W 10 .38 Special. Used, but in great condition (save for a little holster wear at the muzzle, other than that, not even a scratch) I think it was a nice find for the used price of $245. Going to take it out tomorrow to the range and see how it works.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Can't go wrong with any Smith K frame.

CD

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Yep, hard to beat a K frame, and for $245 you won't find many M10s. I'm stuck on the N Frames, with M28s right now.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
yes indeed;
N frames are truly an addiction, but a k frame is not too far behind!

Your new model 10 will outlast you!

congrats

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought a Model 10 with a 4" heavy barrel in 1993. It was a Birmingham Police gun and had been carried but not shot very much.
I did an action job, reprofiled the trigger, cut the hammer down to a small nib to be able to pull in single action, but te gun is for double action. Then I round butted the frame and touched up the bluing. The gun carries easy, even as a 5". I shoot +p's with no worries, and have even fired +p+'s. It's the same frame as the model 14 which is the 357, so I don't worry about heavy .38sp loads. Smooth as butter and shoots to the sights.
I paid 85,00 from a Gun Store in Huntsville. They had 50-60 of them. Went through about 20 to find the solid lockup and timing I wanted. gun is solid.
I wish I had went thru them and bought 2-3 of them, now, LOL.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
The model 14 was 38 special...the target masterpiece, or the famed K38;
the model 19 was the 357, the combat masterpiece.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
. . . the model 19 was the 357, the combat masterpiece.
IIRC, (haven't been able to keep up with S&Ws numerous model changes) the combat masterpiece is the model 15. At least that's what it says on the box of the one I have. Believe the model 19 is the combat magnum?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The model 14 was 38 special...the target masterpiece, or the famed K38;
the model 19 was the 357, the combat masterpiece.
Yeah, I was mistaken on the model 14, it is the 38. And the 15 is the adjustable sight version.
I have a Model 66, right now.
The Model 65 is the fixed site version of the 357 (model 66). Identical to the model 10, except 357 and stainless.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
IIRC, (haven't been able to keep up with S&Ws numerous model changes) the combat masterpiece is the model 15. At least that's what it says on the box of the one I have. Believe the model 19 is the combat magnum?
Yes indeed;

I just went downstairs and checked my model 15 box...it is inded the combat masterpiece! ;)

yes, the combat magnum is indeed the 19....stainless, the 66.

In my opinion, the 66 is quite nearly the perfect .357 magnum, short of the Security six from ruger.:cool:

another, brother to the 65, is the model 13...a fixed site .357 of FBI fame. heavy barrelled and K frame, another winner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
another, brother to the 65, is the model 13...a fixed site .357 of FBI fame. heavy barrelled and K frame, another winner.
My neighbor (in his 70's) went with me to our BIG gun shop locally. I bought an Anaconda, and he bought a Model 13! In excellent shape for about 200.00 back in 2002. And it shoots to it's sights. I put a spring kit in and lightly glassed the action, and it will hit the end of a beer can at 15 paces off hand. Even with me shooting it.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Love those K frame Smiths! I have a K38 Masterpiece, but most of my collection is in model 17 K22 Masterpiece & model 18 Combat Masterpiece 22 revolvers. My favorite is my 1938 K22 Outdoorsman. They all just fit the hand and shoot so well!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
K frame grip on a N frame

I have often wished S&W had gone to a K frame grip when they introduced the Round Butt N frames. S&W did put a K frame grip on the X frames.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts