Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have any experience with these. I am just starting to load for my .45 acp and am coming into some money, but not sure what to get. Im a 1911 finatic but hate searching for my brass after a shooting session so I figured a .45 revolver would be nice to shoot and economical to reload. what do you guys think. get a revolver or just go for another 1911, it would be a Baer TRS.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have had two .45 acp revolvers, one was beautiful and shot OK, and the other was OK looking and shot beautifully. My S&W model 25 had a gorgeous blue job and had a pinned barrel, but the chamber throats were a bit big and inconsistent. Still shot pretty well. Then I got a deal on a S&W performance center 625 with a 5 inch barrel that was a fantastic shooter. Yes, the revolvers do solve the problem of chasing brass. Moon clips can be sort of a pain, but I got a pile of pretty inexpensive plastic ones that work great and are very easy to load. Then there is auto rim brass. Use the same dies and loads but they have rims just like a .357 or .44. So, for variety, I would definitely vote for a .45 acp revolver, and I hear the thunder ranch ones are very good.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Any of you guys have any experience with these. I am just starting to load for my .45 acp and am coming into some money, but not sure what to get. Im a 1911 finatic but hate searching for my brass after a shooting session so I figured a .45 revolver would be nice to shoot and economical to reload. what do you guys think. get a revolver or just go for another 1911, it would be a Baer TRS.

I own the 325PD, 4" titanium and Scandium. It's a great backpacking gun, and on occasion, CCW, but only in colder times, with bigger clothes. Carry it in a pancake holter, very high.
The 325 shoots very well, and recoil is managable, but stiff.
I've never a problem with it, short of the ejector rod working loose. Sent it to Smith, they replaced the ejector star, rod, springs, ect.
I have read that with the Titanium cylinders, owners should be cautious of what cleaners they use. I've read that even simple Hoppe's #9 should be avoided, and instead, Breakfree CLP be used. Honetly, that's all I've ever used was CLP.
The fiber optic front sight really jumps out during daylight hours, and works well in situations except no-light. the rear sight, which is sort of a shallow V, took some getting use to, but now it sights VERY quickly, and offers acceptable accuracy. I would not hesitate to rely on this gun.
I've played with 45 acp loads to try to biuild a better mousetrap, hotter heavier load for woods carry, but always go back to 230 ball, or 230 lead flatnose for woods critters. given more time in my day, and more range time, I'm betting I could develope a nice 'acceptabe' load for a 265 hard cast keith bullet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have both a S&W and Colt Model of 1917, .45acp wheel guns. With the moon clips, the load as fast as anything on the market (revolver-wise) and both are dead accurate. The S&W .45acp wheel guns are the best you can get, IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts