Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this little revolver a few weeks ago and have shot it several times, each time with one box of .357's and one box of heavy 38's. No complaints with the recoil. It's fine with my hand. No bruising or soreness at all after shooting. I don't have huge, tough hands, either. The main problem I had, was learning how to deal with the recoil so my (left) supporting hand's index finger did not get nicked. That can hurt a little, but no biggie.

I am writing to ask about wear to the cylinder and frame. Any problems? I enjoy shooting this revolver, but do not want to damage it with too many .357 rounds. I have heard horror stories about cracks in the frame and bullets sticking in the cylinder, which I think is really just glorified titanium with a trace amount of scandium, considering how much that precious metal costs these days.

Usually with the sticking, the shooter had one .38 left in a cylinder of spent .357's. Not sure why anyone would want to shoot that way anyhow. I would be more apt to shoot the opposite: heavy .38's with a big ole .357 as the last bullet to come round.

I bought my 340PD for $800. Thinking of replacing the trigger spring with a lighter one. What do you think? Will that jeopardize the gun's reliability with the trigger? I guess the extra stiff trigger is standard on these little Smiths. I had an old .38 Air Weight with a trigger job that was nice to shoot. Sold it a while back.

I really like this little 340PD. The lack of weight on it is a dream to carry. Seems like a great little BUG to me, so long as the frame doesn't crack with use, or something awful like that. Hope that titanium cylinder will hold up. I'm crossin my fingers.

Many thanks for any feedback from other owners,

Kirk

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the 340 with the Ti cylinder. My biggest problem has been the regulation of the sights. Mine hit way low and right at 10 yds. Shot tight groups, but way off. I broke down and had a dovetailed front sight put on so I could sight it in. I have Pachmayr Decelerator grips on mine. They make it controllable for me, but recoil is still vigorous. I got a SS 640 as a companion gun to use for practice. The 640 is about 10 oz. heavier and much more easily controllable, as well as much more durable, at least IMO. I don’t want to shoot any of my Si guns too much. The Al/Si guns are, for me, made for carry. The SS guns are made for shooting.

·
Banned
241 Posts
I have the M&P 360 snub but wished I'd bought the 3"

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Got the M&P 360 and glad I did not get the 3" - like it just the way it is. The trigger pull was over 12 lbs and the gunsmith cut off a couple coils and test fired it and primer strikes still seem strong and trigger is now around 10 lbs. I just shoot the standard pressure Buffalo Bore 150 grain hard cast wadcutters. At 13 ounces standard pressure .38 Specials are enough for me. Not that you want to abuse your gun/hand but I expect the gun can take as much as you can take and if it fails S&W will make it right.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the M&P 360 snub but wished I'd bought the 3"
I also have the 360 Kit Gun. It has the 3" barrel, but it came with the V rear/HiViz front combination. I can't hit squat with that, so I had to change the sights to a square, serrated ramp front, square notch rear.

I also play with the rebound springs and hammer springs on mine. When I am done, I have a nice trigger, but I don't know the actual weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have carried my 340PD daily for the past four years in either a Mika or Uncle Mikes. My carry ammo is the Speer 135gr SB .357 backed up with a speed strip of Speer 135gr +P. I practice with +Ps that I load. I have disabled my IL for safety reasons. My skill level is excellent with this gun as long as I maintain a death grip while shooting, but I have been shooting a JFrame for about 30 years.

Although I am a 1911 guy, there is always a place for this 11.6 oz buddy in my pocket.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 340PD. The frame is cracked.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sold my 342PD

Just did not trust the cylinder. I've kind of regretted selling it. Afterwards, I bought a 342 M&P. It's fine, but the recoil is worse. It's got laser grips on it and the grip is narrower so it borrows deeper into my palm. The 342 PD actually kicked a lot less for me. Anyhow, I kind of miss the PD. Oh well. Can't complain. The M&P is a great gun. Not quite as light, but MORE ACCURATE. I do shoot much more accurately with it, especially after I got a trigger job from a registered S&W gunsmith.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dogman:

Smith will probably fix your gun for you. It's worth a shot. The company makes good on the stuff that breaks, especially after the British debacle (ownership). I had a revolver that was made during the British ownership of the company, so the staff was not very fired up about fixing the gun (flaking nickel on the cylinder). Eventually, they put on new nickel, but it flaked off after the first time I shot it. I got disgusted and just told the thing for a bargain basement price even though it had a nice trigger job. I've since regretted selling it. Should have hung onto it, even with the flaked cylinder.

Even if you did not buy your 340 PD new, Smith will probably fix it if you push the issue. Smith does fix second hand guns that break in a way that is the fault of the manufacturer.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I have the 325PD;
45acp.

Great gun, but a stout recoil. Managable, but stout!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts