Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My grandpa gave me a s&w .45. He told me it was old, but he didn't really know how old. I'm hoping someone here could help me identify it.
On the left side of the barrel it says "S.&W. D.A. 45"
On the bottom of the barrel it says "United States Property"
On the top of the barrel it says "Smith and Wesson Springfield Mass U.S.A. Patented DEC. 17 1901 FEB. 6. 1906 sep. 14. 1909
It does not say anything on the bottom of the handle frame
On the bottom of the barrel under the cylender flop out thingy it has the serial number 114571 and the imprint of a bird head,( perhaps an eagle? ) andunder that "S2"
On the frame at the corner of the trigger gaurd on the left side it has the same bird but under it is says 'S6"
On the left side top corner of the frame, right in front of the hammer there is a imprinted symbol, it looks like a circle inside another circle with hair on top, somewhat like an onion for lack of a better despcription. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Sounds like a 1917 to me. They're called Hand Ejectors as the first revolvers broke in half and ejected the empty cases like a O/U shotgun. These had the now familiar ejector rod and solid topstrap and were much stronger than the previous generations.

The marks you inquire about are proofing marks, made to indicate that the chambers have all withstood a proof load (120% of MAP).

There are a few other models it could be, including a Triple Lock, 1950, 1955 and a few others. The 1917 is the most common I believe. Some other members here are much more knowledgable than I am on these guns.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts