Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a 275 gr. bullet for my encore in s&w 500. I like the barnes bullets and plan to use them for hunting but they are a little pricey for just target shooting. Why do the Ranier Blastics have a 1500 fps max ? I'm sure they do it for a reason but I was wondering if it has to do with the lesd-safe thing. I know they recomend the flat nose 275 for the s&w 500 but put the 1500 fps on them.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
Yeah, the copper plating is softer and thinner (usually) than jacket metal and starts to strip and foul the bore if you drive it too fast. Too much bullet upset (bump-up) may crack it at the bullet base, too, defeating the lead-free expulsion from the muzzle.

·
Banned
507 Posts
When I use a lead safe bullet it is pure copper. If you want to shoot cheaper, cast bullets will do. There are some major difference between Barnes bullets and lead bullets when you load your own. Being the same weight does not do you any good. It is how much of the bullet engages the rifling, the density of the bullet. The Barnes bullets are longer than lead or jacketed bullets.

I shoot a lot of Barnes Bullets in various rifles and pistols. I found my practices rounds for getting ready for hunting are the bullets I am going to use for hunting. For target shooting and plinking, I use bullets that I cast and they work well.

Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts