Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a chance to look at Smithand Wesson's new .500 mag. I noted that it is nearly the length of a .50/70. This got me to thinking that if NEF brings out a "Handi Rifle" in that calibre, it may be an economical means to get into a BP burning cart. gun. I am guessing that it would take a 450 gr. bullet and still accept 50-55 gr of powder. Any thoughts?

Deo et Libertas in Aeturnum

·
Registered
5 Posts
50 S&W as a blackpowder round

William--I strongly suspect that you will be severely disappointed with the performance of a black powder version of the 50 S&W in a rifle.

My 50-70 is the real deal, no doubt about it. I load it with 70 grains of Goex 2f and a 425 grain Lyman 515141. This is a heavily compressed charge. When it is loaded with 60 or even 65 grains, it really gets anemic. The 50 to 55 grain charge you envision shooting with the 450 grain bullet will not be enough to do much more than get the barrel dirty. Shoot straight, rdnck.

·
Super Moderator
9,516 Posts
Been looking for a full dimentional spec. on the .500SW case. All I have right now are assumptions. Can assume it was designed to hod a bullet of LESS than .512"...same bug-a-boo that forced the 50AE to use smaller diameter bullets.

Can assume it is a thick based/thich walled case as it has to contain a good deal of pressure. This would make it hold less BP if it were used for that. By the same reduced volume, would make a better smokless round, even if kept to BP pressure.

On a guess, from just looking, would make something on the order of a .50/55 or 50/65 dependsing on how far out the bullets are seated.

----------
Also a 50/70 shooter, and do find that the round, even well loaded, has a trajectory not too far off a well thrown brick; the 45/70 is poor by today's standards, but the trajectory is much better than the 50/70's.

The 50/70 hunts well; there is a lot of good to be said for poking a 1/2" chunk of lead through animals you want to fall down.
---
williamrskora:

Know it's "cheating" but have tried tripple seven in the 50/70. Beware: if velocity is an indicator of pressure (which it is), the 200fps INCREASE from using tripple seven may be too much of a good thing for old guns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts