Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall,

I don't own a S&W 629 yet, but I'm thinking about it. What is the 629 cyl length?(just haven't had a chance to measure yet). Then, I can look at your outstanding details section and find what will fit.
Thanks,
PJB

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
PJB,

The 629 has a cylinder length of 1.70", and is appropriate length for any of the .44 caliber bullets we make for the exception of the .44-325g LCMNGC bullet which has a .500" nose to crimp length.   Those 629's are right at home with any bullets up to and including a .450" NTC length!

I wouldn't go much beyond the 325g weight with a Smith, respecting their strength limitations, and would probably opt for a bullet in the 280-300 grain range for most heavy work with this revolver.

Hope this helps!  Thanks for the post!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Marshall:
  Shouldn't that be 1.7 inches or thereabouts?

My Model 28 .357 Magnum has a cylinder length of 1.625". I picked up some 180gr. Remington SJHPs at a gunshow and it looks like C.O.L. will be about 1.650", crimped in the groove. Does Remington use a short case for their factory loads or are they not intended for S&Ws? Mr. Gates, can you help here?

I'll try them as a varmint load in the .35 Remington, so they might not be a loss.  158 gr. Remington SJHPs work, but the point of impact is too far off the 200 gr. round-nose point of impact.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jack,

My L frame Smith measures out at 1.625 inches. I had not heard of a case where a factory bullet would cause a problem though any makers 357 with the exception of the small framed 5 shot guns. Factory ammo would be loaded with standard magnum length cases I sure.

Not to ask a stupid question but does this bullet have a dual crimp groove? I don't have a Remington component catalog handy so I don't know. Have you loaded any of these bullets yet to check the fit? I haven't fired a jacketed 180 grain  bullet in some time but I do know there was no room left at the end of that cylinder. This certainly seems strange to me.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, MT:
  No, they don't have a dual crimp groove. They're about .380" nose to crimp and all the other .357 bullets I've got are .320" or less. I checked several bullets in a fired case trimmed to 1.275" and the best I can do is 1.650".

I just thought of something else. My cylinder is the recessed head type. If I remember correctly, the L frames cylinders aren't recessed, so that would give you an extra .050", which would be enough.

Speer #11 recommends trimming to 1.180" for their 180 gr. TMJ, so I thought Remington might use a short case too.

Thanks for your reply.

Bye
Jack    

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Jack,

Thanks, that indeed was supposed to be 1.70"... that's what I get for trying to put in a quick two-cent's worth while waiting for things to warm up between batches of bullets!   I should have proof read my answer and didn't in the essence of time!   Thanks for the catch!

Sorry guys if I've been a little absent here lately, but I've been putting in some really L-O-N-G hours getting your orders out as quickly as possible now that this lube issue is resolved!   Many thanks to all for your patience!

It seems when I sit down to the computer I can lose track of time, and eat up 3-4 hours just on the forum and emails!   I'll be more in touch with you folks, just sporadically throughout the day now that I have a computer in the shop with internet access, as well as the one in the office!

Catch you when I can, and God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts