Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I have a 629 I'd like to convert to a Mountain Gun. My question is can this be done, and can anyone recommend a shop that does this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would also llike to add that I am thinking of getting a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan, but tossing this idea around first.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi everyone.

I have a 629 I'd like to convert to a Mountain Gun. My question is can this be done, and can anyone recommend a shop that does this?
It's just parts and labor. See what Smith and Wesson's shop says. I've carried a Trail Boss for over a decade, a better carry gun than the Ruger in grizz country.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can buy a 3" barrel from Numrich for $80, and the AGI S&W revolvers DVD for $40. Could it be as simple as just replacing the barrel?

I would like to add that I am no stranger to guns or gunsmithing per se. I'm a machinist by trade, and I have rebuilt many guns from the ground up, just no revolvers... yet... :D

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I can buy a 3" barrel from Numrich for $80, and the AGI S&W revolvers DVD for $40. Could it be as simple as just replacing the barrel?

Might ask this in the gunsmithing area. DOn't think it's as simple as rebarreling a Savage rifle, or a Mauser. Think you need the right tools and jigs to hold the revolver or you can seriously damage things.

Then you'll have to set the forcing cone depth so that the cylinder gap is correct.

SUspect it's having the tools that would make this simpler.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Correct, you'd want to invest in the proper N-Frame wrench, so as not to jack the frame and ruin the piece. Thus, in the end, perhaps S&W themselves, or someone like Hamilton Bowen would be a good bet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts