Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S&W AR-15, 16" barrel, shooting good with Brown Bear 52gr HP ammo at 2909fps five shot group at 100yds and the squares are 9/10" not 1" squares. I fired one right after the other as quick as I could acquire my target in the scope. The group at 200yds was about twice this size. The Burris Ballistic Plex mark for 200yds was right on at 200yds and I was sighted in at 3/4 inch high at 100yds.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Was wondering about their ammo. Russian, right? Price is about as good as it gets these days.

Silver Bear is Czech, I think, and a bit more expensive.

Is that an SW mag on your rifle? I like the textured treatment.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, that is a SyntechMag and yes that is Russian ammo but smells better, is cleaner, more accurate and faster across the Chrony than Wolf ammo.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I haven't tried any Brown Bear ammo. I do shoot surplus, Wolf, and Silver Bear; all 60 gr. stuff, of either FMJ or hollow point. The surplus and Wolf perform very good out of my S&W M&P. I don't like, or rather my rifle, doesn't like Silver Bear at all. The surplus and Wolf ammo shoot great and at 100 yds with either, 2 of 3 holes are always touching, and the third close (surely me instead of the rifle), but don't know about 200 yds yet. From my perspective the Silver Bear isn't in the same accuracy class as the other two. I haven't seen any Brown Bear to buy, so I can't comment about it unless by chance they make Wolf and the surplus stuff. At 100 yards, the Silver Bear keeps everything in about a 4-inch pattern, deadly yes, accurate as compared to others, NO! I doubt I'll purchase more Silver Bear unless it gets down to not being able to buy others. Besides accuracy, I've found rounds of the same weight to be longer than the others and those rounds don't feed well & jam. What I use my remaining Silver Bear for now is to shoot a few rounds after firing surplus to help remove the salt residue from the corrosive surplus stuff.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't tried any Brown Bear ammo. I do shoot surplus, Wolf, and Silver Bear; all 60 gr. stuff, of either FMJ or hollow point. The surplus and Wolf perform very good out of my S&W M&P. I don't like, or rather my rifle, doesn't like Silver Bear at all. The surplus and Wolf ammo shoot great and at 100 yds with either, 2 of 3 holes are always touching, and the third close (surely me instead of the rifle), but don't know about 200 yds yet. From my perspective the Silver Bear isn't in the same accuracy class as the other two. I haven't seen any Brown Bear to buy, so I can't comment about it unless by chance they make Wolf and the surplus stuff. At 100 yards, the Silver Bear keeps everything in about a 4-inch pattern, deadly yes, accurate as compared to others, NO! I doubt I'll purchase more Silver Bear unless it gets down to not being able to buy others. Besides accuracy, I've found rounds of the same weight to be longer than the others and those rounds don't feed well & jam. What I use my remaining Silver Bear for now is to shoot a few rounds after firing surplus to help remove the salt residue from the corrosive surplus stuff.
I like the Brown Bear 52gr HP ammo. Same factory that makes ammo for the Russian Military. Oh, by the way, if you shoot corrosive ammo, you are not removing the corrosive residue by shooting none corrosive ammo through you rifle after you have shot corrosive. All you are doing is imbedding the corrosive elements from the corrosive ammo further into the surface between the asperities of your barrel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
"All you are doing is imbedding the corrosive elements from the corrosive ammo further into the surface between the asperities of your barrel."

The nooks and crannies are the collection points, but the smooth surfaces hold the salts as well. The non-corrosive stuff helps greatly, note that I said "helps" in my first comment about same. Hot water and disassembly cleaning is the final. Not unlike cleaning road salt off the car from winter driving, washing the outside is the easy part but the corrosion takes place where the salt gets inside the connection points, and underneath where the rust begins out of sight. High pressure hose still does a lot to make the job easier, particularly with warm water.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"All you are doing is imbedding the corrosive elements from the corrosive ammo further into the surface between the asperities of your barrel."

The nooks and crannies are the collection points, but the smooth surfaces hold the salts as well. The non-corrosive stuff helps greatly, note that I said "helps" in my first comment about same. Hot water and disassembly cleaning is the final. Not unlike cleaning road salt off the car from winter driving, washing the outside is the easy part but the corrosion takes place where the salt gets inside the connection points, and underneath where the rust begins out of sight. High pressure hose still does a lot to make the job easier, particularly with warm water.

Where are you getting corrosive 223 ammo? Who made it and why corrosive since the 223 came along after most ammo factories around the world quit making it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Now I know I'm getting too old (coming up on 61)! I read S&W M&P and it didn't even occur to me that he meant 5.56x45mm or .223. My black rifle of the same name is 5.45.39mm. I guess I saw "Brown Bear" and "Russian" and slide right into the opinion that he was talking 5.45x39mm. Although I know the old Soviet block countries do make 5.56x45mm, it never occurred to me that was the case, and it should have because 5.56 is the most common ammo by far for black rifles. Now that gets me to wondering if those companies ever made 5.56x45mm with corrosive primers?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the S&W MP15, Leupold scope, using PMC 55g ammo, the shot group at 100 yards is about 2.5 to 3 inch. Not what I was looking for from my S&W, can do better with my SKS..I was thinking of trying the Hornady 75g match ammo. Hornady 308, 168g match is all I use in my 308, and it is worth a few extra bucks.....Any suggestions??? Thanks..........

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the S&W MP15, Leupold scope, using PMC 55g ammo, the shot group at 100 yards is about 2.5 to 3 inch. Not what I was looking for from my S&W, can do better with my SKS..I was thinking of trying the Hornady 75g match ammo. Hornady 308, 168g match is all I use in my 308, and it is worth a few extra bucks.....Any suggestions??? Thanks..........
We are now getting under and inch at 100yds using 55gr Seirra game king and IMR4198, also good groups with this bullet using varget and tac. My SKS can't get close to my AR, of course I was using Wolf ammo in my SKS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts