Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up my new S&W ar-15 sport soon! This will be my first ar, any suggestions or things to be aware of?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The M&P's are very reliable and accurate, just invest in good magazines-stay away from the low priced junk.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have the M&P OR and like it. I know the sport doesn't have the cover door on the receiver and not sure if it has the chrome lined barrel or not, but I think over all, it's basically the same rifle. I did not like the feel of the trigger so I upgraded mine with aftermarket springs and assembly and that made it much better. However, the factory trigger in the M&P was still 10 times better than the one in my Bushmaster so I used the parts I took out of the M&P and replaced the ones in the Bushmaster with those. I rarely shoot the Bushmaster so I'm not a picky about it.

Other than the trigger and the recoil spring noise and feel, (which I also upgraded spring and buffer) I've had no complaints.

Understand also, I've spent several years and thousands of rounds though an M-4 I had setup to my personal liking while teaching special weapons tactics in the military so I changed my M&P to feel the same as the M-4I used. For most people, I doubt they would ever notice the things that I didn't like about mine the way it came out of the box.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Glad to read the good reviews of the S&W M&P AR as I am looking at buying one. Unless you are in a really dirty environment, you don't need a dust cover as a piece of tape works well in an emergency. In my forty years of carrying and using an AR, I have never needed a forward assist either.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my forty years of carrying and using an AR, I have never needed a forward assist either.
The forward assist always made me scratch my head a little. I know that if a round has difficulty chambering that is a life or death situation when being shot at. However, if some foreign object has made its way into the firing chamber, forcing the round forward could have serious consequences. You might get one bang but not another, or even worse, get a KABOOM you never intended. Dust cover I understand though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts