Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted a S&W m19 and now have a chance to trade for one in like new condition. In research I have found they may not handle 357 loads especially newer high power well. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have heard that as well but i have one and it has thousands of rounds thru it with no problems and i have never seen one that was hurt from shooting any 357 ammo it's a fine weapon get it

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Good choice

I have several Model 19s and really like them. I practice with .38 Special loads and use .357 rounds when I carry. All the best...
Gil

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
It will last you many, many years if you do not abuse it.

let's be honest;
you are not going to take it to the range and shoot full magnums EVERY time you go.
Chances are you'll be plinking away with .38special wadcutters, most of the time and loving life.

get it use it and enjoy it....it will outlast you.

I have owned it's sister the model 66 for close to 30 years and it has yet to even whimper a bit.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I've always wanted a S&W Model 19, if the one you're interested in is as good as you say, buy it right NOW. The Model 19 is built to handle all standard factory .357 magnum loadings. It just isn't prudent to shoot these as a steady diet because eventually, it may lead to timing issues. The good news is you are not required shoot a steady diet of .357 magnums. All of the .38 Special loadings will function fine in the Model 19 as well as any .38 loadings using magnum cases. Just be diligent when using .38 Special cartridges to thoroughly clean the chambers of any lead residue that may accumulate.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I still have my issue S&W Mod 19 I started policing with in 1972. I can't count the number of 357 mag loads I have shot through it and it is still in top shape. Don't pass up on a good buy. The 19 is an excellent gun.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I've always wanted a S&W m19 and now have a chance to trade for one in like new condition. In research I have found they may not handle 357 loads especially newer high power well. Any thoughts?

I love the M-19 S&W they are excellent. The fact is a heavier gun will not shoot loose as fast as a smaller gun, but to say that a M-19 will not handle heavy 357 loads is not correct, because it will most certainly do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts