Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife just brought home her Christmas gift, a new Mod 60, 3 inch with HiViz front, adj. rear. It's a wonderful piece with what must be a 15 lb DA trigger! That ain't gonna work so need some advice on where to start to reduce the pull to something manageable for her. I've owned (and still own) K's and N's in the past but am not that familiar with J-frames. For instance, I discovered they have coil mainsprings. So much for loosening the strain screw to help some! Thinking about a spring kit. Of course still want reliability. Any help appreciated. BTW, about a hundred dry-fires helped quite a bit. Gonna pop a few rounds off this AM. Thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
First thing, get a Wolf, or someother reputable company's spring kit and put it in. I have one in my SP101 and it is a dream...in fact I got rid of my m60 as it stank by comparison. That should pretty much take care of it.

You may want to lighten the hammer spring. But, the main thing is to lighten the trigger rebound spring (which can be done w/a pair of diagonals) but, if you ever shoot anybody w/that gun and go to court, you want a gun that is as close to stock as possible.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,657 Posts
Yeah, I'd try to only change the trigger return spring first. The little snubbie guns may need a fairly strong mainspring to be reliable. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First thing, get a Wolf, or someother reputable company's spring kit and put it in. I have one in my SP101 and it is a dream...in fact I got rid of my m60 as it stank by comparison. That should pretty much take care of it.

You may want to lighten the hammer spring. But, the main thing is to lighten the trigger rebound spring (which can be done w/a pair of diagonals) but, if you ever shoot anybody w/that gun and go to court, you want a gun that is as close to stock as possible.
Thanks, stinky. Saw the Wolff kit in Midway catalog. May try that, first. Of course getting rid of this gun isn't an option right now! I do have to say that after @50 or so rounds fired the trigger feels much better than it did out of the box. Thanks for the help.

Thanks, Mike. I saw that advice on another site. (keeping the mainspring stock)

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
The trigger rebound slide on most model 60's usualy needs polishing. (Do not remove metal, just polish.) also radius the the rebound slide on the bottom left side (looking from the rear) polish the raceway that it slides in as well, lube with stainless lube and re-assemble. Your trigger pull will be greatly improved (smoother) due to less drag. Also polish the sides of the hammer and trigger while the weapon is dissasmbled. ("Do not work on sear contact points.") I usually don't go any further, as the smoother trigger pull feels light enough, and is easy to live with.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the input. Looked at Brownell's schematic and, except for the coil mainspring it looks pretty much like the K's and N's I've had in the past.

I'll do some of the smoothing a polishing and see what happens.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
well brother i carry my 60 in pant holster .. but for safty reasons wouldn t want the trigger to pull any easier..but in a purse or for smaller hands ..
i understand what you doing..good luck slim
ps with any warning i always cock it anyway..9ive practiced both ways though..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts