Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familliar with the S&W Model 37? Saw one at the local gun store in 38 Special. Looks like a J frame. Any info or thoughts appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Yes, it is a "J" frame, and older one. Al. frame, the original "light weight". These are usually not recommended for +P ammo, although they take occasional use (lets call it "bussiness" use). Had one for a couple of decades, no problem.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have a 37-2 Airweight. This is a model sold briefly a few years back. Rumor was, they were overruns on a foreign order, or perhaps the result of a contract cancellation. They are the only guns ever issued by S&W, so far, with a hammer bobbed at the factory, and they have no lock. If, by chance, yours is one of these, S&W confirmed for me that these were +P rated, same as all there more recent production.

Now, if the one you're lookung at is an older Model 37, S&W will not say it is +P rated. Some have fired many, many rounds of +P ammo through them without apparent harm, but if I had an older one I believe I would stick to using standard pressure ammo about 90% of the time. This actually makes the gun comfortable to shoot, and there are some very effective standard-presssure self-defense loads on the market; frankly, you don't lose a whole lot by dropping down from +P to standard ammo.

They are wonderful, lightweight, reliable little guns, and very nice for carry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts