Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I have been researching for a while, and I know this is the ford/dodge/chevy discussion of 1911s...

But I have a different question... all the threads I have found everywhere are people comparing them in relability/durability...

I'm looking at a comparison in accuracy.

I know that in the end the biggest factor is practice and shooter skill... but assuming that these were taken out of the picture how do these two pistol measure up to eachother.

Reason I picked these models is because... in addition to being a primarily target 1911(I really want a 1911) I will use it for home defense/camping when we go out in the middle of nowhere.. and I want the rail for a light... For a lil extra $$$ I want the rail so it can take the place of a poylmer gun as I don't want to spend $$$ on a gun specifically for defense... just can't justify it.

So this gun will be target shooting in addition to sitting in the nightstand/camping bag... no carrying... stupid IL... but as far as aspects of the gun I am looking at it from a target perspective not tactical/defense... As far as budget, the MC operator is basically as much as I want to dish out... maybe a few extra $ if I find something good.. but something in that price range.

Let me know what you guys think... my bud has a kimber custom II TLE and I like it a lot, I like the feel of the MC Operator and everything but haven't shot it yet.

MIke.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I haven't shot those specific models, but coming from Springfield and Kimber I would imagine that both of those would shoot much better than the average shooter would ever make use of.

I carry a Springfield TRP Operator as my duty weapon (you can see part of it in my avatar). I found that I shoot better with my TRP than I did with my Glock 22. But shooting my normal qualification and training my groups are nothing like what the gun could probably do off a machine rest.

I would say if you like them both see if one fits you better than the other and if they both fit look at price and availability.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have shot both and both are very accurate. Unless you plan to shoot them off a rest I doubt you will be able to tell much difference in the accuracy. Both of these are very well built guns with a good reputation. I say get which every one feels better in your hand.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have shot both and both are very accurate. Unless you plan to shoot them off a rest I doubt you will be able to tell much difference in the accuracy. Both of these are very well built guns with a good reputation. I say get which every one feels better in your hand.

Yup, the feel thing is where I'm stuck at... I love the feel of the SA, but I'm trying to decide if it would be better/cheaper to get the kimber and purchase the pachmyer american legend grip for it(shot one on my friends dad's colt combat comander 80 series) and I really like the feel of it.

I have heard about the external extractor being an issue w/ the kimbers... did they change this or is it still a problem?

Also how does the extra weight of the SA feel compared to the kimber.. I know its only a lil but is it make follow ups easier?

MIke.

·
Registered
817 Posts
My Kimber does not have an external extractor. I thought all the Kimbers now had internal style now. Does this one have the external version?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts