Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had one of these and what are your opinions on this revolver. Been wanting to get a revolver in 45 long colt, but the Colts are just out of my price range..
Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did find out today that the model p pre-war ones have changed to a 3 click hammer instead of the 4 click they have always had.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had the artillery models when I started shooting SASS. Were fine until I came into some money and bought two Colt's. Can't take high pressure loads, so I had to separate my Ruger Only loads and my standard/cowboy loads. Good looking guns and many Colt parts (lighter springs fit).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Steve,

I have a Calvary Model (7.5" bbl) Uberti Cattleman in .357mag and a Army Model (5.5" bbl) Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt to go with my leverguns I have in each caliber. My Uberti's are the original Cattleman with the fixed firing pin and internal design patterned after the 1st Gen Colts. I've added a spring kit to slick up both and they are a blast to shoot.

However, like the original Colt design they are not as strong as a Ruger and therefore I shoot watered down to .38spl level, .357mag loads and standard pressure (14,000psi or below) loads in my .45 Colt. With their grip design and high bore axis, they are more comfortable shooting non-magnum loads.

There is nothing like shooting a .45 Colt SAA Peacemaker style pistol. Tons of enjoyment and great balance. Yes, the sights are somewhat primitive but it's a pistol for fun, not a serious SD piece so go out and get yourself one. I recommend the 5.5" bbl SAA version as I like it's balance the best.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They are great guns

Top one came 4 click hammer , its a 45 colt CMS Pro Short Stroke with low hammer

Bottom one is a 44 special. I replaced the stupid 3 click retracto fire pin hammer with a standard 4 click low wide hammer

I also bought a extra standard 4 click hammer

I also have a older AWA 45 colt 4 click

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
What causes the fourth click? You must be counting the bolt release.

·
Registered
566 Posts
What causes the fourth click? You must be counting the bolt release.
Easy, the "T" in COLT. You can't spell "C" "O" "L" "T" without 4 clicks 😁

Reactions: Darkker

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Only the C O and T are 'hammer clicks'. You must be talking about the difference in Colt style and a transfer bar gun.
The 'extra' click is the bolt hitting the cylinder as it releases from the hammer cam.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my Uberti/Cimarron 32-20 saa pre war revolver you can hear 4 distinct clicks as you pull the hammer back. They have changed now. You will only hear 3 clicks when pulling the hammer back. Cimarron told me it was some safety thing they did. That if you want a 4 click pistol from them you would have to go to the old style which has a screw you have to take out to remove the cylinder. Colts from what I have heard still have the 4 clicks.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Ok, it's just a language thing. I've never heard of a hammer being rated by clicks.
What you're hearing is Half Cock, Loading cock, Bolt drops, full cock. The hammer has 'three notches'. That is the original Colt design that is also used in most Italian copies. In 1973, Ruger re-designed the single-action with a much safer design. The trigger must be pulled and held back to transfer the hammer energy to the firing pin, or to remove a block to the hammer motion. Both designs are used.
A Colt style can only be safely carried with five rounds. A transfer bar makes six safe to carry.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok that is good to know.So I guess the new style transfer bar is a good thing. That changes my thinking on things. So does the new design change any shooting style. What I mean is you cock the hammer back all the way pull the trigger and bang it shoots. You do not have to do anything else special??

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Nothing to do, nothing to remember. It is known as a 'passive safety'. It's like the twist throttle on a motorcycle: To make it go, you have to hold on. It's NOT like a starting interlock like on a car that prevents starting if your foot is not on the brake.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,561 Posts
Three screw Rugers were/are also "4 click" for what that's worth.

RJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts