Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Inactive account
4,735 Posts
Have a Redding/Saeco 4 cavity #68 which is the BB version of the #69. Close enough? I really like Redding/Saeco molds, they are beautifully made and of commercial quality. If you have a good one, it's a keeper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saeco-Redding Mold #068 or #069

Any comments as to accuracy at 50 yds? At 25 yds?? Feeding problems?? Finished bullet weight?? Casting characteristics?? Thanks

·
Inactive account
4,735 Posts
You're drifting away from talking about molds when you start talking accuracy and feeding problems. Those subjects have more to do with the ability of the shooter and the nature of the handgun.

Any mold in decent condition, can turn out good bullets that will shoot accurately and feed correctly if the shooter has the ability and the bullet is compatible with the handgun. If you are planning to shoot this bullet through a 1911 platform, you may have to have the feed ramp on the barrel contoured a bit to facilitate feeding the bullet, and then you may not have to. Depends on whether or not the barrel is already contoured for SWC bullets. Other handguns may or may not have this same problem.

Finished bullet weight depends mainly on your alloy. While bullet mold manufacturers specify a given weight, your bullets may vary a bit due to your alloy being different from what the manufacturer used. This will not affect accuracy much as long as the batch of bullets you turn out all weigh about the same. I have known casters to weigh individual bullets after a casting session to cull out the light and heavy ones. Then, other casters are not that dedicated. Your choice.

Cast bullets need to be examined for defects prior to lubricating and sizing. Not all bullets drop from the mold in perfect condition so the "rejects" need to be culled out. Generally, most (but not all) shooters size and lubricate before the bullets ever see a cartridge case. The more experienced the caster, usually the better the quality of the bullets.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have the saeco #068 swc bb excellent bullet ! i have shot it from many different 45 acps , i did my testing from a ransom rest in most cases.
saeco moulds are my go to mould in most cases , i probley have over 15 saecos with 4 rcbs and 1 lbt and 2 mountian moulds all excellent !
ive had lymans and lee moulds but i do not care for them ! just my opinion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.