Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All ! I'm thinking about picking one of these up as a replacement for my Ruger M77UL in 30-06. Does anyone here have any experience with the Sako 75's ? Are they reliable? Worth the cost ? Or should I just hang on to my old m77? Thanks. CEJ..

·
Registered
302 Posts
CEJ, I dont know bout the Sako 75 finlite, but I have a Sako Hunter, 24" bbl in 270, and have never had an out of the box gun with such a smooth action, unless I had it worked on. Only change I made outside adding a scope was got a Bell & Carlson composite stock for it. Dont know what the 75 goes for but looked up price on the one I have and MSRP is $1185.00 on todays market. Got mine NIB with a trade and some green folding.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi CEJ. I bought the Sako Finnlight this year in 30-06. Like gunrunner said, this is a VERY smooth action. Workmanship is excellent, the magazine is quick and precise for fast changes. Overall, a very nice handling gun. My groups are around 1.5", which is not as good as led to expect, but I suspsect it is more my fault than the gun's. It's very consistent though. I get he same group in the same place regardless of what ammo I shoot; and I have tried many different rounds, both factory and reloads, shooting up all my old leftovers. Also, I'm working up a whole new set of reloads for this gun so I'm sure it will get better with time and practice.
My only dissappointment with this gun is the stock seems like cheap plastic, the buttstock is so soft you can actually squeeze it a bit. And the grey grip areas get marred a bit when you bust through heavy brush a lot. Most of it cleans up nicely with Armorall though.
Mostly, I just LOVE this gun. Yukon hunting is very tough on equipment, and I think this gun is built to handle it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys for your replies! I can't believe how smooth the action works! Gunrunner, I agree that you get what you pay for and I'm getting tired of sending factory rifles to a smith to smooth them up the way they should have come from the factory, so I'd rather pay a little more now instead of later on! Yukon, the stock is the only thing I'm not crazy about but I believe that McMillain can fix that! I'm also glad to hear about how well you like the detatchable magazine for it. I've started to shop around for the rifle and maybe Santa will help me out with one for a Christmas present :D Thanks for your help guys! CEJ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to help. A couple more things I forgot to mention:
The trigger on the Finnlight is adjustable just by dropping the magazine out and reaching in with an allen key - very easy and no dis-assembly required. Its a very nice, crisp trigger assembly.
Also, my chamber is so tight to minimum specs, that all my left over reloads from my old rifle wouldn't fit. The over-all length was too long, and I had to reform all the brass to set the shoulder back or it wouldn't chamber. (Factory rounds or brass not fire-formed in my sloppy old chamber fit fine.) Its nice to know I have a nice tight chamber to start with.
By the way, I'm not about to replace the factory stock unless it fails. It may feel a bit cheap (in their effort to keep the gun light), but so far it has stood up to some pretty heavy abuse pushing through heavy willows all day and has only some cosmetic scratches. Since I'm only concerned about function, not beauty, I think it will be fine.
Good luck finding a good deal, and I hope you enjoy the gun. I'd love to hear how it shoots for you once you do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts