Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone got any range time or hunting experience with sako A7? how would you compare it to it's little cousin the tikka T3 lite ? thanks:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
anyone got any range time or hunting experience with sako A7? how would you compare it to it's little cousin the tikka T3 lite ? thanks:eek:
Take a look at the A7 Tecomate
Beautiful rifle but it only comes in 300 and 270 short mag

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
love that tecomate but 270wsm just too much rifle for me and 1200.00+ price same , but oh so beeeeutifulllll !!!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just picked up a brand new A7 30-06 on Saturday. I haven't shot it yet but it did replace a T3 lite I've had for the past 5 years. The A7 has a 3 lug bolt head where the Tikka has 2. The A7 trigger is a Sako unit the Tikka is not. Though the Tikka trigger was awesome. The A7 has a bolt release button that will unlock the bolt with the safety on. The stocks are similar, they both have the recoil lug bedded in the stock. The receiver on the A7 is different than the Tikka. The Tikka has a round receiver where the Sako is flat bottomed. The Tikka uses mounts that grip into a groove machined in the reciever. The A7 has weaver type bases factory mounted. I always intended to swap out the factory Tikka rings because they were a little cheesy, (aluminum). The A7 magazine is polymer like the Tikka but it has steel feed lips where the Tikka does not. Plus it mounts a little more rigid and requires you to push the magazine "in" while pushing the release before it lets go of the magazine. In my opinion the A7 and Tikka feel very similar in hand but the A7 has more and better features. I picked up the A7 for $699 which I felt was a great deal considering I paid $569 for the Tikka T3 lite SS in 270wsm 5 years ago. My Tikka shot very, very well. I hope the Sako does as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now let add a new thought. Hearing real good things about FN manufactured M70s( extrene weather ) how would they compare with A-7, tikkas?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I handled both the new X-bolt and Model 70 before going with the A7. I think the X-bolt hunter stainless is probably the nicest looking gun in it's price range. However, its action is nowhere near as smooth as a Sako or Tikka. The Model 70 was just too big in my hands, I didn't like the feel of it at all. The Sako is also lighter than the Browning and the Winchester. It just felt better for me, it's a slim, trim gun. Plus it was $200 less thn the Winnie and $300 less than the Browning.
Now let add a new thought. Hearing real good things about FN manufactured M70s( extrene weather ) how would they compare with A-7, tikkas?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you find the A-7's stock ' cheap feeling ' ' cheezy ' as some have said or is it quality and durable ? if I got one I'd have it camo-d as I just will never like black furniture.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My remington model 7 plastic stock was cheap and cheesy. You could flex the fore end very easily. The Sako and Tikka are much better. I think they are much stiffer, a lot of x-bracing inside. Short of coating it with something, I'm not sure how you can get away from the look. It's black. I'm sure some of the new "plastic" paints could make it look much better for very little money. I know I'm going to look into it. But I have to remember it's a tool I drag to the woods to hunt with. If it were a bench queen I'd love a laminate stock, but they're much heavier as well. I loved the Tikka, but I'm glad I stepped up to the Sako.
do you find the A-7's stock ' cheap feeling ' ' cheezy ' as some have said or is it quality and durable ? if I got one I'd have it camo-d as I just will never like black furniture.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks 'teacherboy' that's helpful. If you decide to change stock color , might try Tarjac.com $110.00 plus shipping for a multitude of finishes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
boys made my choice and bought her and I'll sign off now and get back later with pics, targets, ammo liked ,etc and my sincere thanks to one and all , alec

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had forgotten how to have fun,as I got older and made more and bought fancier I became real toughy about any abuse my guns recieved and so quit shoot em. That plus life dealt me some hard body blows and I buckled and retreated. But some good friends and one real good partner stayed the course and convinced me to get going again and man I'm starting to enjoy life again. Now what's that got to do with my selection well everything becuase I love wood/ blue and always wanted but passed on a winchester. Catskillcrawler and Zoar comments here on shoot. forum hit me like a freight train in essence but what u like , go use it and think of dings as memories and character. They are so right, so very right. So I got a new model M70 . 270 with leupold 3x9 already attached and I am going to build new memories with son's and friends and thank you teacherboy and all the rest of you fine people, will get back with pics when rifle paid for broke in and wrung out, alec

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You got it ! ( you get right to the point, you'd make a good TEACHER, BOY ) take care buddy be back at you when the trials are complete, alec

1 - 17 of 17 Posts