Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a nice Sako L461 17-222 magnum along with 40 rounds of ammo. I am now looking for full length dies and case forming dies to make more brass. I have scoured the internet and called multiple companies requesting assistance. I have not had any luck in my search. Does anyone here know of a custom shop that would be able to build me a set of dies? I have plenty of 222 magnum brass since I already handload for another rifle in that caliber. I was also looking into some ideas on how to step it down to 17 caliber. I've read about 204 ruger dies being used to step down to 17. Thanks for any comments. I am still a little stumped on how I am going to work through this one.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,869 Posts
Have you checked with RCBS, Redding, Hornady or Lee about their specialty dies. Chances are, RCBS will already have them listed. May cost a penny or two.

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
Buy a 222 Rem Mag Hornady or Sinclair neck bushing die and a bushing to match what you need. (.197 should be about perfect.)
Have you got a fire-formed case to measure? You have a custom chamber and its best to know what dimensions it has. Be sure there's neck clearance, .002 is plenty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kdub, I have attempted to contact Hornady (did not get an answer or a call back), Redding (talked to the engineer but they do not accept direct orders. They only accept orders through their distributors. They are also 18 weeks behind in normal production), Whidden did not call me back, I have not heard back from RCBS or Lee. I haven't found anything on Ebay or gun broker either.

JBelk, Thanks for the input on the standard 222 mag die with the neck bushing. Can you provide some detail as to how that works or provide some reference materials for me to read? Thanks for the post. This sounds like a good work around to get what I need. I do have fire formed cases.... Empty's that came with the rifle. I also have loaded ammo but they are reloads and I am skeptical as to their integrity.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Contact CH4D. You might want to send them a fired case just to be sure. They have a few 17-222's listed in their caliber list.

CH4D

And after looking a little closer, it looks like you could buy a 17 Remington die set, grind .096" off the bottom of the die and voila! a 17-222 full length sizing and seating die. Looking at the case drawings, that should work. Assuming your chamber is just a 222 necked down to 17 cal without any changes to the shoulder.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
you could buy a 17 Remington die set, grind .096" off the bottom of the die and voila! a 17-222 full length sizing and seating die.
Would you need the .222 Remington Magnum die without the decapping assembly to get the brass FL resized to the base, every couple of cycles?

·
Premium Member
15,336 Posts
That depends on the quality of the chamber and the level of the loads. Some rifles don't require FL sizing and minimum neck sizing.

·
Registered
576 Posts
@TMan You should not need anything other than the modified 17 Remington die. It should give you a FL sized case if that is what you want. If you look closely at the cartridge drawings, it should clear things up.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Ah ha, I didn't realize that the .17 Remington WAS based on the .222 Magnum. Seems like an easy fix if the OP can find either a neck bushing die or a set of .17 Remington dies.

Reactions: 375Carp

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 17-222 rcbs fo die. It is not a magnum , and I don’t have seating die. You can have this one if your
interested. I also have a 222 magnum fl die.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts