Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked with a Sako TRG at the range the other day and was very impressed with the action's strength and smoothness. I don't hear much about them, so they must have a problem somewhere. Does anyone know about the TRGs?

·
Banned
548 Posts
loader, I personally do not have a trg. But I am looking to build a long range hunting rifle.
I was looking at the trg-s, but looking around on some other forums, I have decided to go with a different set-up.
Go to www.longrangehunting.com and do a forum search. There is a lot of info on the there. Hope this helps. John

·
Banned
548 Posts
Loader, you're welcome. I was looking to work up either the 30-378 or the 338 Lapua. Since the trg-s was available in both cartridges, this seems like a good place to start? Then after looking around I found out that the short 26" bbls. were not doing either of these two cartridges any favors. also there is very little in the way of after market accessories.
Sooo, I am still looking.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Halfbreed -

Funny I have looked at both of these cartridges as well, and found that there is very little advantage, if any, to them over the 300 and 338 RUM in 26 inch bbls. I now have one of each, and they chronograph stunning velocities when you work out the right powder and seat to the lands. H870 and AA8700 are best for heavy bullets in the 300 RUM, and R25 is majic in the 338 RUM. The beltless 30 degree shoulders of these rounds make fine accuracy much easier to obtain. In fact, the 338 RUM is now used exclusively for the testing of all 338 caliber bullets by THREE manufacturers...that says something.

Another advantage is the they both digest XMP 5744 extremely well for reduced loads. I use 53 grs of this powder with 200 gr Hornadys at 2750 fps for eastern deer hunting in the 338 RUM. Velocity variation for 10 shot strings runs 12 fps!

The best load data for these is in the Nosler Manual 5th Edition, along with the 30- and 338-378.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Loader, I too have been looking at the 300 RUM. It is very impressive, however with the longr bbls. It is really turning up the velocity. since My hunting abilities have been drastically reduced, I am going to have to look at long range or give it up entirely. That is the reason why I have been looking at the long range hunting site. Lots and lots of information. Halfbreed

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Halfbreed -

I don't know what your budget looks like, but the Savage Weather Warrior in 300 RUM is a steal. You could work with the 26 inch factory bbl, and then move up to a 28 or 30 at very little cost...nothing is easier to rebarrel and headspace than a Savage bolt action. The new Savage trigger is as good as they get.

They offer the same rifle in 7MM RUM this year...I must admit I did not like this round when it first came out because it was extremely overbore, but AA has worked up some very good loads with AA8700. This powder and cartridge go together like the 270 Win and 4831...they were made for each other. Even in a 26 inch bbl, one can easily launch 140 gr 7MMs at 3500 fps and 175s at 3250 fps. There's 200 more in there with a 30 inch bbl, for sure. I shot the 140 gr load at the range with a friend's rifle and the recoil is a dead ringer for a 300 Win Mag shooting 165s...much better than the 300 RUM.

Anyway, if you are after thin skinned game under 800 pounds way out yonder, this one is worth looking at. Come to think of it, I'd rather have the 7MM RUM than the 300, since I have the 338 RUM. If you are interested, I can give you a deal on my 300 RUM and get the 7 MM RUM!!

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Halfbreed -

Sorry to hog this thread, but the most impressive rifle I have seen at the range this year was a 270 WSM with a custom 28 inch heavy barrel. I know the WSMs are all designed for shorter, handy hunting rifles, but the 270 WSM uses extra bbl length to great advantage. This rifle chronographed a long string of shots using MagPro (something like 70 to 75 grs) and 130 gr Nosler BTs over 3450 fps, and put them ALL in a 3/4 inch group at 300 yards. If you look at the 7MM Rum 140 at 3500 fps (106 grs of AA 8700), this is impressive. In spite of its stubby appearance, this is one hot long range round using 25 to 30% less powder than the big boomers. The owner said the 140 BTs do an even 3300 fps. I don't think there is a bit of difference in the trajectory of this 140 gr round and the 300 RUM with 180 grainers, nor will there be any difference in penetration...sectional densities are about the same.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Loader, Hog on my friend, Seems to me you have some good working knowledge here.
I have been looking specifically at the savage 116 fs, like you said earlier, start with the factory bbl, then later re-barrel with a custom 30".
If you are serious about that 300 rum, think about what you have to have, dies too maybe, then give me a P.M., tell me what you have and what you need for it, and maybe we can get something going? sound good?

Halfbreed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts