Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here on the property we have some wild berries, like Service berry & wild raspberries. So last winter I ordered four Saskatoon Blue berries. FedEx delivered them today. As you can see from the picture they are already sprouting new growth. Suppose to grow 15' to 20' tall bushes. Will soak in water over night & plant tomorrow. Having no experience with this variety of berry, was wondering if any of you outdoor folks might comment with your experience with this berry? I'm sure the bears will eventually let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Here on the property we have some wild berries, like Service berry & wild raspberries. So last winter I ordered four Saskatoon Blue berries. FedEx delivered them today. As you can see from the picture they are already sprouting new growth. Suppose to grow 15' to 20' tall bushes. Will soak in water over night & plant tomorrow. Having no experience with this variety of berry, was wondering if any of you outdoor folks might comment with your experience with this berry? I'm sure the bears will eventually let me know.
I don't have personal experience with the bushes, but I think you had better worry more about the deer than what bears may do. Seems that deer like the berries, leaves and twigs, so if you want a chance for mature bushes, better 'deer proof' them as soon as you plant them. See here: Do deer eat blueberries?.

I just went to water our potted (about three feet from the house wall) sweet pepper plants we put in about a month ago. Four varieties, green, red, orange and yellow. Last time I watered, a few days ago, they were looking great, about 15"-18" tall and full. This morning, leaves are gone from all but one plant, with just a stalk remaining! I guess she'll come back for the last one tonight!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand. It is a battle. We deal not only with the deer , but elk also. You can yell at them & they stand there & look at you. Just waiting for you to walk away.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I understand. It is a battle. We deal not only with the deer , but elk also. You can yell at them & they stand there & look at you. Just waiting for you to walk away.
In our case, my wife and I have to accept all responsibility (and guilt). We have lived here for 30+ years and have gone against what almost every 'professional' advises. We feed the darn things, shell corn and stale bread (who knew they love bread?). I can be working in the yard and all the sudden turn around and a big doe (bucks have done it too) will be standing about five feet behind me, with this look like 'well, are you going to feed me?". I can say 'You want some corn?', and they will turn and look at the backyard garage where I keep/store the trash can full of corn, and then follow me down there to get it! They even come onto the front porch. So, I guess I can't complain when they think any and all things edible are fair game!

·
Premium Member
17,052 Posts
Just don't name 'em!
As a kid we always had a milk cow and usually a fattening steer and a 4H project steer. I'd name the 4H steer but we never put a name on the one we were going to eat.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Every berry bush planted here turns to deer pellets overnight.
Every Winter, after Deer Season, I have several Deer come-up close to my home looking for shelled corn. I place corn out for them everyday, just to watch them, and of course they became somewhat tame. They all know my scent and when I carry a bucket of corn to them they all (6) start running toward me. I'll stand there and talk to them and they seem unafraid.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Here in Tn we love our hosta plants. Unfortunately, so do our local deer. These hostas were about 2/3s of the way up our shed wall. But, 4 or 5 days later.....😤

Eventually they will hit the ones in front too

Plant Building Door Natural landscape Tree
Plant Rectangle Land lot Natural landscape Grass
Plant Building Window Sky Brick

• Love
Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here in rural Virginia the deer seem to eat everything except our blueberries. It is the bears that like them and some seasons they get them all. We have some six-foot-tall mature berry plants, and the bears will stand up and reach into the bush and pull down the branches and munch away. They especially like the late season berries when bears are putting on fat. Here they go after the wild huckleberries too, and we keep a lookout for bears when we pick them.

One big bear filled up on our blueberries and grapes, and then snoozed in the backyard. Come hunting season the bears are scarcer, of course.

Good luck in Montana.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Here in Tn we love our hosta plants. Unfortunately, so do our local deer. These hostas were about 2/3s of the way up our shed wall. But, 4 or 5 days later.....😤

Eventually they will hit the ones in front too

View attachment 105291 View attachment 105292 View attachment 105293
Had several varieties of hostas in two backyard mulch beds years ago. The deer weren't picky, ate every variety, right down to the ground. After a couple of years of gnawing them down, it killed the bulbs. Gave up, the mulch beds are still there....with native trees!
P.S. Tn...beautiful place!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts