Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For curiosity sake, I have read a little about the Savage "smokeless powder" muzzleloader. It can be a pretty good rifle, I guess, but I, and WE all need to know more in the event what could happen if it were double charged, especially if one were going for a magnum load. I know what happened when I accedently double charged a .44 mag pistol once! Luckily, I was using a Ruger at the time.

Pouring powder down the barrel requires that one pays attention in order not to get a double load, even if black powder is used. I was shooting one day when someone double charged his smoke pole while at the bench and was talking on his cell phone at the time. He was about to pour a third charge and he fellow next to him stopped him and asked if he knew how much powder he had in the barrel. I only knew because everyone started talking about it. Hey, fella, hang up that phone and shoot!

I would appreciate any in put on someone who owns a Savage. Potentialy deadly, or not?!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Saw some pictures where one blew up - ruined the guys non-shooting hand. It didn't say what he loaded in it, just pictures of the blown apart gun and what was left of his hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have one and shoot it on a regular basis. Personally I don't feel it is any more dangerous than any other muzzleloader. No matter what gun you are stuffing powder and bullets down the barrel you had better be on your toes and have a routine that you follow each and every time. Always use the same rod when loading and have it marked for that final inspection before you put the primer or cap on the firearm. Probably the most dangerous time is when you are experimenting with different load combos as the mark will either not be present or not in the right place. I have taken to using red electricians tape on the rod and keep it in my shooting box. When I start a new load the first thing I do is lay out one load of powder one sabot and one bullet on the bench. Nothing else is allowed within arms reach and check to see if it is unloaded with the rod then dump my powder and seat my sabot and bullet on top of the powder. I then mark the rod with a pencil and pull it up and put a narrow wrap of red tape on the breech side of the mark. In subsequent loads if you can see the red when you are loading STOP something is wrong. Savage ML are very strong and will withstand quite a bit of abuse but no firearm is without some aspect of danger.

DC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts