Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thread and new here so sorry if I break a rule.

Savage Official Link
Savage Arms

Browning Official Link
X-Bolt Stalker Long Range

Going with 300 WinMag, I intend to do long range shooting and hunting. I found Browning at $800, and Savage around $900. Prefer not to spend over $1000.

I am not sure what to get. The internet does not have a lot of reviews for these 2.

I am leaning towards the Savage due to its superior stock trigger, but have the notion that Browning is an overall better brand.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Also, what do you know about budsgunshop? They have the Savage for $650 but it seems fishy to me. Maybe an older model?

·
The Shadow
7,467 Posts
I've had enough of them, you couldn't give me another Salvage.
As far as the trigger goes: Browning's are EASILY the better trigger, and that isn't even close. The Savage will let be lighter, guaranteed to be creep filled, and useable adjustment range varies greatly from gun to gun.

I'm not a Browning fan, but the quality between them really isn't in the same league.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Savage really isn't that great eh? That does mix things up a bit. Anything in particular bad about Browning? also, what might you suggest if you had to?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Tikka, Howa / Wby Vanguard, Win M70 in that order.

·
The Shadow
7,467 Posts
Here's my deal with Savage.

I've been shooting them, working on them, and Frankenstein-ing them for a few decades now, and lived with a couple dozen. They have always, without fail, always, had absolute ghastly Q.C.... did I say always yet?

So when you got a good one, man it shot great! Especially since they were always only about $250-350. The problem was you could never get any two that were the same. Part interchangeability was always a guess. Tollerances were always sloppy so you had to always play with things to make them function correctly, if they would. Well then throw into the mix one of the "oh-well, screw it!" Moments in the QC Dept... Not one or two, but like days/weeks of production, some of which were flat dangerous.

You know how campfire stories go. No one ever told a tale about how much work it took to get a Yugo to make the trip from NY to Ohio. All you heard was this one time a guy just got in one and drove there.
So now everyone knows "they shoot good", well it's certainly true that they can. But nothing has ever fundamentally changed, is they now sell for $800.

I don't like Browning's, not for a particular reason, they just don't do it for me; but the quality is there.

Honestly I'm a Ruger fan but am anxiously waiting on a 03 Springfield, from Countryboy. I don't share the preference order of MM, but any of those are good quality rifles.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Of course the Ruger M77 will always be my first choice (in the USA). Is the Hawkeye still sold new? Because I am not sure is why I left them out. They also need (mainly polishing) work but anyone with a feeling for mechanics can do that. If it does not shoot better than MOA groups it is easy to in one hour fix the issue yourself. Unless the barrel-action interface is out of concentricity every small issue can be fixed.

The CZ550 series in the DG calibres (at least those ones directly out of Europe with European style stocks) are more to be trusted than the M77s of .375 calibre and higher.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have owned lots of rifles in my day and concur that Savage had a less than perfect record. However, something at Savage has changed in the last few years and I've bought a few reluctantly after reading many positive online reviews. I started with a Savage 110BA in 338 Lupua. That gun was an absolute tack driver with one hole groups measuring outside to outside well under 1/2 MOA. The gun was a little awkward to carry around while hunting so I sold it and bought a Savage 110FCP. The FCP also shot well under 1/2 MOA. I hand load my own cartridges and found that both rifles had the exact cartridge overall length to engage the rifling 5000th off the lands. The FCP is substantially lighter and I could carry it easily. The Savage your looking at I considered but it did not have the greatest reviews online probably secondary to the light contour barrel. I would highly recommend the FCP and I've owned Sako TRG'S which would cost you well over $3000. The FCP runs about $1250 online.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Personally, I'd choose the Browning over the Savage every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I own a good number of rifles now, but none are Savage bolt guns (do have a M99). Everyone likes what they likes, Savage = not liked by me. I recently bought a NIB Browning X-Bolt (Medallion) at a very good price. Feels good in hand and the fit and finish is top shelf.

My new Medallion is a .325 WSM and I topped with a new Zeiss Conquest, a good companion piece of glass IMO. I took it to the range just before my first deer hunt of the fall (Georgia) and sighted it in with a couple other rifles. I was duly impressed as it gave me a sub 1/2" group (3 shots) on that very first range visit with 200gr Accubonds.

I'd not be afraid to purchase from Bud's, but be sure to read the fine print. They may or may not ship immediately at purchase as they have some sort of "system" with their warehouse and shipping practices that could cause a delay to finding and then shipping your chosen product. Their prices are hard to beat though and typically include shipping. I don't purchase a lot from them because the LGS I normally use is located in Kentucky and that would require me to pay sales tax.

The new X-Bolt is on the left, CZ 550 Carbine on the right

Attachments

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
As an owner of both Savages and Brownings. Between the two my pick would be Browning every time.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Tikka, Howa / Wby Vanguard, Win M70 in that order.
I'm curious as to why the Model 70 falls so low in the order, falling even lower with Ruger being added later?

·
The Shadow
7,467 Posts
Is the Hawkeye still sold new?
Yes sir they are!
I was going to buy another just a few months ago, but decided to tackle the American on a whim.

Reactions: cabrown32010

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know I already chimed in but I just thought of two other Savage rifles I purchased from Dicks Sporting goods when they were on sale for $399 each. Both are Savage Model 111. Both function flawlessly and shoot well under an inch at 150 yards. One is 22-250 and the other is a 308. I also own a real nice Savage Anshutz in 22 long rifle caliber. Well I think that's all of the Savages I own but don't hold me to it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
MM the OP was asking about Savage vs Browning.

Curious why you rate the M70 so far down on your list?
I like my Rugers but consider the CRF M70s a step up.
No disrespect meant but If you're not familiar with him you wouldn't know he only prefers controlled feed actions regardless of the other attributes of a rifle. Not everyone in hunting community hunts dangerous game. Beside that I've never had any rifle fail to feed a cartridge reliably and I've owned dozens with thousands of rounds Fed through them.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.luckygunner.com/lounge/controlled-feed-vs-push-feed-rifles/amp/?client=safari

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
No disrespect meant but If you're not familiar with him you wouldn't know he only prefers controlled feed actions regardless of the other attributes of a rifle. Not everyone in hunting community hunts dangerous game. Beside that I've never had any rifle fail to feed a cartridge reliably and I've owned dozens with thousands of rounds Fed through them.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.luckygunner.com/lounge/controlled-feed-vs-push-feed-rifles/amp/?client=safari
Well the current Model 70 is a controlled round feed just like the pre 64s were. While the Tikka and Howa/Vanguard are push feeds. So my question still stands.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I love my Browning A Bolt...the short-lift bolt throw is very nice, especially with the larger ocular lenses coming on the newer scopes. I may have owned a Savage many many years ago; if I did, it was one of the few rifles I sold and never regretted doing so. Something about them just says "cheap" to me.

Browning A Bolt II 270 WIN

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Savage really isn't that great eh? That does mix things up a bit. Anything in particular bad about Browning? also, what might you suggest if you had to?

Thanks

Dakker just hates on Savages. LOL:D

I know of guys that have bought the savage long range hunter and gone and won or placed in rifle matches at 600yds. No work done, just mount scope, load ammo, go win match.

I know the savages I have are all extremely accurate and sometime scary accurate. My 111 trophy XP in 6.5x284 norma has even managed a .75" group at 300yds before, although 2" is more the norm. And that is a 7 lb hunting gun, not a "varmint" or heavy barreled gun

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts