Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Nice shootin Beartracker. All my 30 cal rifles like IMR4350 also.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Now I hope the 358 Ruger and the 3006 will not be safe queens !!

I have used the 180 gr. on top off H1000 with good results . Maybe I should see what the ol' winchester will do with your 165Gr loads too. Then too with in a inch on the shoulder of Moose is still one dead moose .
Thanks for sharing .
Happy

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Only improvement I can forsee is the possible installation of competition trigger from Fred and Lisa at Sharp Shooter Supply. Bought one for a Stevens 200 and was so impressed with the performance that I've been putting them on all my Savages even the Accua-Trigger rifles. The Accua-Triggers are better than the lawyer proofed setups employed by other makers but still not true adjustable type competition triggers. You have too try one before understanding how much better they perform.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Man!! You would do well shootin' the heads off some of the high flying geese' that pass through here in the fall.
That is some good shooting out of any hunting rifle .

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have such triggers on some of my custom rifles and I know there are better triggers than the factory installed Accutrigger. What I was referring to is when more rounds are down range the barrel will start to shoot even better as has happened on all my rifles. Second, I know I have not done some of my best shooting yet. Third, I will be tweaking my loads and that will produce even tighter groups. Now I am not shooting competition but hunting with this rifle and for a hunting rifle it is better than most and I think the best is yet to come and I do think that I will nurse it out of this rifle.
Gee, I sure hope it improves cause youll never get a deer with groups like that;) , but seriously though nice rifle and good shootin.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for sharing the report. Savages seem to shoot straight.

I can't complain about my 111 7rm at the 600 yard mark:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Only accurate rifles are any fun. Some guys have been raving about the Hornady 168 grn A Max, both the standard and the moly coated. Your rifle seems to be a keeper! Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Great shooting.

I bought the same rifle and since the optics I plan to mount are still on back order (Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Mil/mil) I mounted a standby Vortex Black diamond I had laying around. (after I got it back from Vortex service department for some repairs.) found out that the black diamond did not have enough Up adjustment to get me on paper at 100 M with the 20 MOA base I picked out for the Viper PST and with no spotter that day trying to get on paper farther out was not happening. So instead of finding a whole new mounting system I'm waiting for the PST to come in before I head back out to try it out. The waiting is killing me. Thanks for letting me live vicarioulsy just for a minute. Here's to hoping I can get even close to that accuracy out of mine. I guess the good thing is after that first trip I have a few empties to load up to try out with some factory loads when I head out with my new optics.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Beartracker I must say, you certainly have a real "Keeper" for your gun cabinet!!! Nice shooting by the way, it ought to bring a lot of meat to the freezer.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any barnes loads?

beartracker, what is your measured COAL?

I just received my Christmas present, a Savage 116 FCSS 300 WM, and could not wait to get started on some loads. However, I made a dummy bullet to measure to COAL and found it to be 3.545 with the 180 gr Barnes TTSX:confused:

Do these of relatively deep throats?

I am a little hesitant to burn money on developing loads on this gun.

How far off of the lands are you loading?

·
Registered
6 Posts
beartracker, just curious, what COAL is your magazine length?

My 3.545 dummy round fits (barely) in my magazine. I have the 116 FCSS, which is similar to yours, but with a drop clip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts