Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a Savage 12 BVSS in .223 rem. Anyone have any experience with this rifle? Pros, cons? Also, I found that there was/is a BVSS-S that is single-shot configuration. Does anyone know if it is still made? I couldn't find a listing on the Savage website, so I didn't know if they were still a current item or not. The idea of a (almost) Remington 40X for under $500 sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
250 Posts
For the most part you can't go wrong with the Savage,the only change i would make is the trigger,there are a couple of good ones out there that allow you to get down on the poundage.
Only seen one of the single shots and it was very accurate

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
JS:
I shoot the Nationals in Jersey with a gent who uses one chambered in .308. It is indeed a fine, accurate rifle, and it's weight, I'm told by this shooter, helps with fast follow ups during the rapid fire stage.
He does say however, that he would NOT use the rifle to hunt in the woods due to it's weight.
Pretty one too!;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rifle would be mainly for punching paper and varmits. Weight is definitely not an issue since all shooting will be off of a rest. I am mainly interested in an accurate out-of-the-box rifle that won't break the bank. :rolleyes:

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
well then, have you thought about the Savage model 10fp.
Free floated heavy bbl in a composite stock, 223 or 308 (along with others) and a true short action. My M10 FLP (223)(lefty) with it's factory trigger shot 1" groups at 300yds, even with a 1/9" twist. The 308 has a 1/10" twist. Both are VERY accurate.

Chris~:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at one but I prefer the wide forearm and the straight drop of the grip on the BVSS. I also prefer having the rifle in stainless steel rather than blued or matte finish. By the way...what was the bullet weight you were shooting in the .223? I was wondering how the 1 in 9 twist would work with the lighter 40 grn ballistic tips and such.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sAvage 12bvss

JS_280 said:
The rifle would be mainly for punching paper and varmits. Weight is definitely not an issue since all shooting will be off of a rest. I am mainly interested in an accurate out-of-the-box rifle that won't break the bank. :rolleyes:
Just purchased this rifle in 22-250, scoped it is HEAVY. I would not pay more than 550 for it though. I shopped the price and found two vendors that could sell it for 520-535. The new trigger system is great. I have a remington lover buddy that loves my rifle over his. Let me know what you decide and how it goes

·
Registered
31 Posts
JS,
I would say to you that Savage is the way to go, you can't beat them for the cost,accuracy out of the box {MOA}.
These are all I own and nothing else.
You wont be disapointed...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Matter of fact, as soon as I can get my glock sold Im purchasing another new Savage in either the 22-250 or the 223 for varminting. The 308 is abit much and does kick your *** if you shoot it all day.
So time to just get one dedicated to that purpose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Savage Arms site has all the models listed.
http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm

Also, OneShotOneKill, the .22/250 has more of a problem with barrel wear. Plus the ammo is more expensive. Just something to keep in mind. Although, if you are fine with that, I'd suggest looking at the .204 Ruger round. The only downside is Savage doesn't seem to offer it in a gun with a heavy stainless barrel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
12BVss put 6 in at just under1.5" today at 300yd. mostly lateral. This is my 1st scoped rifle except for a 22 rim., never shot past 100 yd or handloaded a bullet till about 4-5 mo. ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the FVSS in 22-250 about 6 years ago for about $450 new. This rifle is the most accurate rifle I own and is more accurate than I can really hold. Still I routinely get .2- .3 inch groups at 100yds with Winchester white box 45gr HP. Excellent rifles....especially for the price.

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a Savage 12 BVSS in .223 rem. Anyone have any experience with this rifle? Pros, cons? Also, I found that there was/is a BVSS-S that is single-shot configuration. Does anyone know if it is still made? I couldn't find a listing on the Savage website, so I didn't know if they were still a current item or not. The idea of a (almost) Remington 40X for under $500 sounds like a good deal.
I have the exact rifle you are considering. If all are like mine, you can't go wrong. I've had it for 4 years now and haven't found anything to complain about. Use it mostly for varminting and rountinely take shots and connect up to 400 yards.

I'm not sure about the BVSS in single shot although they have a specific single shot listed, can't recall the model and the low pro can be had as a single shot and also with a 1-9 or 1-7 twist barrel in .223.

I haven't run anything lighter than 50 grain pills thru mine, so can't give you any info about how the 40's shoot. Mine shoots 52 grain Sierra Matchkings in the .240's for 5 shots at 100 yards. 69 grain Matchkings don't shoot quite as well although they're still way under 1/2".

Here is Savage's homepage, http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,956 Posts
Yup - its amazing the number of old threads that get dredged up now and again with someone answering as if it was posted yesterday. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the model 12 BVSS in two calibers, .223 and .22-250. They are outstanding rifles and have the best out of the box trigger on the market. You won't be sorry you purchased one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JS,
I would say to you that Savage is the way to go, you can't beat them for the cost,accuracy out of the box {MOA}.
These are all I own and nothing else.
You wont be disapointed...
I have a 10fp in .223and love it. A bit heavy but I dont hunt.Super accurate right outof box.All I did was scope itand a harris bipod. Great gun finished forunder 800 dollars. Highly recomend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts