Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the lake bottom finally went down enough to try some long distance shots. I figured I'd site in at 100 yards and then try some 200+ yard shots. I'm shooting Hornady 32g rounds. I strap the rifle into the sled and squeeze off a few rounds only to see a 3" at best grouping. I try shooting off the bags. Same result. I mount a different scope hoping it's not the rifle. Still nothing. I let some one else shoot who can drive tacks with his .17 at 100 yards. Same result. These rounds were just flying all over the place. I bought the gun six months ago, but didn't have anywhere to really try it out. I wonder if Savage will fix the problem, or if they'll tell me I some how abused the rifle. At any rate, this has soured my taste for Savage fire arms. I'll probably never buy another one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if you've tried this yet, but it may be worth stepping up to the 40 grain vmax to see if that helps your groups. I have a 26" tc encore with a 1/12 twist that groups well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if you've tried this yet, but it may be worth stepping up to the 40 grain vmax to see if that helps your groups. I have a 26" tc encore with a 1/12 twist that groups well.
Forgot to mention that I did try 40 grain. I really think the gun is janked up. Hopefully savage will stand behind their warranty.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
From the model number given your rifle was a scoped package deal with what's called a tupperware stock by Savage affectious. It takes very little side or down pressure on those stocks too produce erratic shots. I have a Stevens 200 with the same stock and just rest the rifle stock about where the box magazine would be on a rest. If you pull down with your trigger finger hand you can move shots several inches. Yeah the plastic stocks are crap. I've gradually replaced my tupperware stocks with Boyd's laminated stocks with a corresponding end of problems on that score.

There's only three bullet weights in that caliber too my knowledge--32, 39 or 40 grainers. As the previous poster suggested try the other weights.

Hopefully you've checked the bases and rings for tightness on your scope. Yesterday I had a new never used before scope scattering shots all over the 2 ft square target. Definately defective scope but doubt any adjustment will be made by the seller.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Hail. My scope mounts are tight. And as I said, I put a known good Simmons scope on it with the same result. I say it's about a 3" group, but it's really a 3" radius. I guess that would make it a 6" group?? What I can't understand is if it's strapped in the sled, tupperware shouldn't make a difference in the grouping. I should be able to pull the trigger without even aiming and make a group. Right? You could weld this gun to an anvil and I still don't think it would make a difference.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
If memory serves you place the rifle in your lead sled and use a strap to secure the rifle to the sled. Recoil will change the tension on this strap from shot to shot. After each shot your checking sighting etc. before the next shot. Since another individual has also had same problems it does sound strange. I don't know how much forward the front rest is on the lead sled but from my previous post even positioning the rest below the box mag your trigger finger hand can exert enough pressure to disturb shots. Only aides I use is a front adjustable rest and rear stock bag. Used too use sand bags but found I had problems with shot to shot consistancy. I lay the rifle on the rest over box mag and make sighting adjustments then basically pinch with my thumb and trigger finger. I find this disturbs everything the least. With wood stocks there's stiffness so not necessary too take such extreme measures with each shot.

Its possible you may have a bad barrel. I just found out a new rifle with only dozen rounds fired has a very bad spot near the muzzle. Spent three weeks cleaning copper fouling out after those twelve shots using bore cleaners and electrolysis. Looking at the spot with a bore scope it looks like slag was embedded in the barrel during steel manufacture and as luck would have it the bore was directly through this slag. I'm sending the rifle to the manufacturer so I'll see how that works out.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
John I'd try the things the others mentioned but before bad mouthing Savages I'd give their service department a try. So far I haven't had any experience with a Savage that didn't at least shoot good, many are exceptional.

Let us know how this deal turns out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hail, WOW! That little bit of pressure from the trigger finger can throw off a shot that bad?? I had no idea. But we did rest the front of the forearm on a shot bag and the rear bag was placed just in front of the trigger housing. This is my first rifle other than a $60 rifle given to me by my Dad 30 years ago. So I really appreciate you guys helping me out. I'm still learning......

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John I'd try the things the others mentioned but before bad mouthing Savages I'd give their service department a try. So far I haven't had any experience with a Savage that didn't at least shoot good, many are exceptional.

Let us know how this deal turns out.
I'm going to take it to the shop I bought it from and get the guy to shoot it on his range to verify it's the rifle. I really hope it's something my brother and I are doing wrong that is causing the problem. I'm really not bad mouthing Savage, but consumer habbit is you don't buy a brand that failed the first time. But I must say, I'm "that guy" who ends up with the defective bottle of water that's filled with Natural Light.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
47 Posts
Try different bullet brands and different grains. Savage is the most commonly accurate rifle builder in the marketplace for an off the shelf gun. I sell 6 to one of any other.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you need to try another load.

I'm shooting a CZ 527 and with a 39gr.Blitzking and 24.4 grains of Reloder 10 I'm getting 1-1/2" groups at 200 yards, off sandbags.

Berger makes a 35 grain varmint bullet that I'm eager to try too, but the 39 grain BK's shoot tight for me.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Hi Hail. My scope mounts are tight. And as I said, I put a known good Simmons scope on it with the same result. I say it's about a 3" group, but it's really a 3" radius. I guess that would make it a 6" group?? What I can't understand is if it's strapped in the sled, tupperware shouldn't make a difference in the grouping. I should be able to pull the trigger without even aiming and make a group. Right? You could weld this gun to an anvil and I still don't think it would make a difference.
John,

The Savage you bought comes with an inexpensive scope and you mention swapping it out with a "known good Simmons scope", with the same end result. Any chance you have access to a better quality scope to test with? Unless it's an Aetec, the Simmons you mounted on the gun probably isn't any better than what it came with, which may very well be an unbranded Simmons.

Another thing to do is clean the gun WELL between each shot, for 40 rounds, or so. Small bore rifles, especially of high velocity, tend to copper foul pretty quickly. You might find that following one of the barrel "break-in" methods really helps.

It is also very common for a new gun to not settle in and shoot well until you've run a couple hundred rounds through it. Go ahead and have the guy you bought it from try it, and don't wait to contact Savage, but there are still a couple of things you can do to possibly resolve the problem, yourself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never even shot through the cheap scope that came with it. I mounted a Bushnell Elite series 6x24. I brushed the crap out of the barrel with solvent before I went to sight it in. I'm going to take it to the gun dealer tomorrow as he's been on honeymoon the last week. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the ideas.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I never even shot through the cheap scope that came with it. I mounted a Bushnell Elite series 6x24. I brushed the crap out of the barrel with solvent before I went to sight it in. I'm going to take it to the gun dealer tomorrow as he's been on honeymoon the last week. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the ideas.
What I meant by a break-in process is a little different than brushing itthoroughly before you went to the range...it involves repeated cleanings during the first series of shots through the gun. I can't do anything more than suggest you do a few searches on barrel break-in techniques; it's up to you whether you feel that is worth pursuing. More than a few guys on these pages would give you the same advice. It's not always as simple as buying a new gun and having it shoot half-MOA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I meant by a break-in process is a little different than brushing itthoroughly before you went to the range...it involves repeated cleanings during the first series of shots through the gun. I can't do anything more than suggest you do a few searches on barrel break-in techniques; it's up to you whether you feel that is worth pursuing. More than a few guys on these pages would give you the same advice. It's not always as simple as buying a new gun and having it shoot half-MOA.
Yea. I did some research on barrel break in. But with that said, I finally got my rifle to the dealer. He looked at the bell and pointed out 2 burrs. The barrel hole doesn't even look round. He said he can polish it out and he'll shoot it tomorrow. If it still doesn't group he's going to deal with Savage on my behalf. I'll update everyone on the results. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Broom, I'll be breaking in all my new rifles as you suggested.;)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Hopefully polishing the crown will be all it takes to get it shooting right and if not, I'm willing to bet Savage does what it takes to make you a happy customer. Breaking in a barrel has a lot of nay-sayers but pretty much all of the quality after-market barrel companies recommend one process or another, so there must be something to it. If nothing else, most folks notice a significantly easier time cleaning their bore, after breaking in the barrel.

I look forward to seeing another post from you with the results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i just bought a new winchester and one of there reps on the phone told me that a barrel break in process wasnt necessary. of course those are hammer forged barrels. i believe savage button rifles there barrels so your best bet would be to contact savage and see what they recommend.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Think Win rep is full of it! I have been shooting a model 70 for more than 20 years with great accuracy and have yet to get around to formally breaking it it....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
John, when the store guy gets done with it, you are still gonna need a stock...those things are not worth the plastic they're made out of....throw it away and stick a good Boyd's laminated on it, besides being purty, they WORK !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts