Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soembody out there has one of these rifles. I have seen a couple of them in a sporting goods store. One of the options is the composite stock or a wooden stock with what appears to be hand checkering. The models I checked out had a bull barrel and a scope base. It would become a "fun rifle" and with a good scope it might be useful for some head shots on squirrels. I will wait for your input. THANKS

·
Registered
170 Posts
Excellent fun gun and great for pests and smaller critters. I do not own one but have shot the Marlin version. Very accurate with no recoil. With a high powered scope the red mist is a blast Some prefer the 22 mag but I like the 17HMR.

AL

·
Registered
430 Posts
Try it, you'll like it! The "Bull Barrel", synthetic stock, and 1" scope is the way to go for about a 7 to 7 1/2# package. Don't worry about taking only head shots, for it is not overly destructive like the .22Mag with a "hollow point" (not critical of the "fine" .22Mag's power). The small bullet does not ricochet like a .22LR, and is more accurate at ranges to 150yards on "tree rats" than the LR or WMR version IMHO.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a Savage 93 in 17HMR and I love it. Its stainless with the "Bull Barrel" and Accu-trigger. Mine really likes the CCI explosive tip bullets. Its very flat shooting for a rimfire and will really do some damage to those pesky varmints.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
They are pretty popular with deer hunters on the local Indian reservations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I owned a NEF 17 HMR with a synthetic stock with a 3X9 when they first came out. Not mmuch choice in ammo at the time but I did manage to get a 2" gp at 100 yrds as long as the wind wasn't blowing with Hornady. I have since shot a Savage with a 16X and bullbarrel with accutrigger and got 1" gp @ 100 yrds. I loaned my NEF to a friend that made mush out of some Racoons eating his deer feed and never got it back..lol

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Savage makes very fine rimfire rifles. My biggest question would be, why pay $15-$20 a box for 17HRM ammo when you can shoot the 22 mag cheaper, and the 22Hornet [if you reload]cheaper still? But then again, whyt do you want to use a 17HMR for Squirrels?

I think I'd look at getting a good accurate 22LR and load it with some Stingers or Yellow Jackets if I needed to kill vermin at longer ranges. Otherwise any accurate 22LR ammo will kill squirrels out to 60 yds or more.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ammo is a little pricey I will admit that ($12 for the explosive tip CCIs). But, They have a lot more power and precision than any 22LR that Iv ever seen and they shoot flatter than a 22 mag. I considered on a 22 mag when I purchased my gun but I do not regret my purchase.

I put a fairly cheap Centerpoint scope on it (it was all I could find at the time with a mil-dot reticle) and after sighting it in began killing rabbits out of my garden by the truck load. 75 yrd head shots on ol' peter cotton tail LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I've killed squirrels at that range, doves at 150 yds, and woodchucks at 100 with my Marlin model 80. I've also killed rabbits at 100+ yds and doves shooting shorts at 60 yds with a old Savage model 6 semi-auto.

The great thing about a 22LR gun is you can afford to practice with it. 250 shots of 22LR for every 50 rounds of 17HRM. Looks like a no brainer to me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Youve killed doves at 150 yrds with a 22LR? Is your real name Bob Lee Swaggar? lol Comin from anyone else I probly wouldnt believe it but since youre the one thats sayin it bandit I guess I can believe you... this time anyways

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Youve killed doves at 150 yrds with a 22LR? Is your real name Bob Lee Swaggar? lol Comin from anyone else I probly wouldnt believe it but since youre the one thats sayin it bandit I guess I can believe you... this time anyways
Aimed high and held into the wind, sqeezed the trigger and next thing I knew, the dove went fluttering out of the tree. I'm not saying I can do it again, but I did do it. McGowen makes a really accurate 22LR barrel for a very good price.

Heck, my Henry will shoot 1" groups at 100 yds with a cheap Simmons Mag22 scope. Practice is the key to good shooting, and how much can someone practice when the ammo for 17HMR or Mach2 cost so much?

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have a 93R17 Savage with a bull barrel, accu-trigger, and a wood stock. It handles very well and shoots very well. I recommend it as a high quality, inexpensive 17HMR. I also have a 1517 MPR Anschutz in 17HMR that is great at the range, but too heavy for a hunting rifle. They are great for shooting out to 150 yards on targets and small varmints.
I also have a 22 mag, which is much better for larger varmints like coyotes IMO. The 17HMR shoots a little flatter than the 22 mag, but it doesn't have the killing power due to the smaller bullets. Ammo cost for 22 mag is similar to 17HMR if you shop a little.
For plinking and squirrel hunting I still use a 22LR though because the cost of ammo is so much less as dmsbandit says. So, if you already have a 22LR, I think it's a great choice.
I also have a 14" 17 mach2 barrel for my G2 Contender. Ammo for that is a lot less than 17HMR ammo, about twice that of 22LR, again if you shop a little. It's about the same cost as 22LR target ammo. The mach2 is flat out to about 125 yards, about 25 yards less than HMR. I actually prefer the mach2 for target shooting and long range small varmint hunting, but it's getting harder to find guns chambered for it. I'm still on the lookout for a nice bolt action, and I'll find the right one someday.
Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts