Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I have a misfire problem with my Savage MKII-F .22lr and was wondering whether anybody has had any issues or knows a solution.
Ive had the rifle (.22LR MKII-F) for atleast 6 months and it hasnt had alot of use, mostly because it misfires to the point where i would feel quite safe putting the barrel in my mouth and pulling the trigger.
On average maybe 8 out of 10 cartridges will misfire and I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. My first thought was light strikes from the firing pin but it seems totally random as to whether the round goes off or not. Some of my .22LR rounds have atleast 10 individual pin strikes on the casing and will not go off but when i put them through any of my other .22LR's they go off the first time, every time, while others will go off on the first attempt, the third, the fifth, it seems to have no pattern.
The rounds im using seem to have no effect either ive tryed CCI Subs, CCI Minimags, and Winchester Super X to name a few, all with the same results.
I was contemplating ordering a new firing pin but I'm not sure if this would solve the issue as it could be the spring, or the chamber, i have no idea.
Another issue is that the full overbarrel suppressor has become stuck and i can't unscrew it even though previously i had cleaned the threading etc after every use, short of taking it to the vice and possibly ruining the bluing im at a loss of what to do with that either.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you taken the bolt apart? 2nd issue-- You might could try a rubber strap or old leather belt + channel locks...and then some anti-seize.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
The firing issue you are having might be due to the wrong firing pin OR maybe the firing pin spring. This is just a guess though, as it might be something simple such as the bolt needs a good cleaning to remove any excess grease.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
The firing issue you are having might be due to the wrong firing pin OR maybe the firing pin spring. This is just a guess though, as it might be something simple such as the bolt needs a good cleaning to remove any excess grease.
I agree with Davers answer. Most of the time when new rifles won't consistantly fire it is do to the bolt/firing pin has something slowing or restricting a full heavy strike. My first thought was ammo, but it seems the OP pretty well ruled that out.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,133 Posts
Clean all of the crud out of the bolt. If you don't know how to disassemble it, you can use one of the spray carb cleaners found at any automotive supply store. Use that stuff outside, and with gloves, and don't breathe any of it.

If cleaning doesn't fix the problem, then the firing pin may be too short from either wear or breakage.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you taken the bolt apart? 2nd issue-- You might could try a rubber strap or old leather belt + channel locks...and then some anti-seize.
Hey, yes ive taken the bolt apart to some extent, ive taken out the extractor's and the firing pin and given it as good a clean as possible, i however i havent taken apart the rear end of the bolt with the spring etc in it as I am not great with the fiddly little things and dont wanna do further damage to the bolt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im leaning toward the spring being the issue because the problem has seemed to have gotten worse and worse over time, and if it were the wrong pin wouldnt you expect it to be just as bad from the very start?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clean all of the crud out of the bolt. If you don't know how to disassemble it, you can use one of the spray carb cleaners found at any automotive supply store. Use that stuff outside, and with gloves, and don't breathe any of it.

If cleaning doesn't fix the problem, then the firing pin may be too short from either wear or breakage.

Good luck.
Hi, I have a feeling its either a worn firing pin (which is strange as the rifle has shot less than 1000 rounds) or a faulty spring. May have to take it in to a gunsmith to find out for sure.
Thanks

·
36,133 Posts
It is almost certainly full of crud. .22s are bad to do that.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I'd simply send it back to Savage. contact them first. With so few rounds thru the weapon it would appear to be a factory problem and savage will fix it.

If you are not comfortable with gun repair, your messing it up might make Savage reluctant to do it free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Big Z that was exactly what I was looking for!
HarryS im reluctant to send it back to savage as I had a .17HMR that I sent to them for maintenance and it came back with a cracked stock which never got replaced or refunded, apparently what happens in delivery isnt their issue. If it comes down to it I may simply have to get hold of a replacement bolt.
Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh one more question, If i were to take apart the bolt and soak it in some sort of solvent what would be a good solvent to use? I think i have some remington bore brite around.
(matter of fact would soaking it be a good idea at all)

·
36,133 Posts
You probably don't have to soak it, but if you do, kerosene (diesel fuel) would probably be fine. As would mineral spirits, and practically any other light petroleum product.

However - hosing the bolt down with some sort of automotive spray cleaner (brake/carb/throttle body cleaner) is about as fool proof as you can get. Use the nozzle to (gently) force a little down the firing pin channel, etc. Wear eye protection too if you are doing that. Don't forget gloves and do it outside and don't breathe the stuff.

It is ridiculously easy to use and very effective, as well as cheap. Give it a try....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank ill be sure to give that auto cleaner a try. I think ill totally disassemble the bolt, soak the components for a while, reassemble and then give it a hose with the brake cleaner. Ill update this with the results, hopefully it fixes the misfire problem.
Thanks again

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
If you're up to taking the bolt apart, a fairly simple process, and there's a sticky for that on rimfire central, and about a dz more videos on you tube, you might as well take the time to polish the firing pin surfaces and the areas where the spring and internal parts might be getting some resistance or excessive friction.

I use a fine stone on the flat parts, and a Dremel with the buffing wheel loaded with JB bore paste on everything else. You don't want to alter the dimensions, just slick them up.

When my BV came home, I flushed the bolt with gunscrubber. It did have a bit of grit. I have about 300rds through it, Remington and Federal, with no FTF.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, well here with an update which is not so encouraging, firstly I went ahead and ordered a new firing pin as they are pretty cheap and I thought I might as well give it a go, anyway that was a total failure, once again 10 attempts to fire, 10 clicks. I then thought, well it must be a build up of crap inside the bolt so i attempted to disassemble it, failure #2. I stripped the bushings quite badly the moment it tried to unscrew it, im unsure why but its metal seems to be extremely soft. Now I am basically at a loss for what to do, I don't want to strip the screw even worse and I don't want to send it to a gunsmith as there is only one in my area and he charges $100 just to look at a gun let alone parts or labor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts