Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
484 Posts
I have owned two Model 24's for use as knockaround guns at camp, an older 24 in .22LR/.410 and a newer one in .22LR/20 ga. The 22/410 was lighter and more accurate with the rimfire barrel. The sights were very small and rudimentary and OK for shots up to 35 yards or so at least with my old eyes.

The newer 22/20 was very heavy and the rimfire barrel was not accurate at all. The sights were bigger and easier to see, but it would have been difficult to hit a rabbit much farther than 25 yards because of the poor accuracy. The newer gun also had the crossbolt safety and there are a couple of grouse that lived to fly another day because I forgot to release the safety and got a 'click" when I expected a "bang".

I wish I still had the 22/410. I don't miss the 22/20 at all.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have an older .22/20 gage for which I made a second set of barrels in .22 over 30/30. It was a real test of patience to get the two rifle barrels to zero with one scope but eventually, after several years of tinkering both with handloads and barrel adjustments, I have the .22 dead center at 65 yards and the 30/30 two inches high at 100 yards. My barrels are only 17" long which does reduce the velocity of the 30/30 by quite a bit so I'm handloading 130 grain bullets to get the speed back up while keeping pressures mild in deference to the fact that this wasn't originally built as a 30/30.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think that the 30-30 may be a little more than you want for small game. I have a savage 24 in 223 over 20 gauge. Its a good combination gun and the 223 will shoot further and is cheaper ammo to shoot. Just a thought.:)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I think you'll be real disappointed, the later models, since they became available in 12 gauge, are total crap.
The early M-24V, those with a true monoblock breech, were pretty well built guns and not excessively heavy. The shotgun tube was in 20 gauge only. The next version had the underlug brazed to the bottom of the shotgun tube and the rifle barrel is brazed into a groove forged and milled onto the top of the shotgun barrel, a three piece breech which savage still called a "monoblock". They are heavier than the first model but not too bad. That version still offered the shotgun in .410 or 20 gauge only.
The latest version, and the first produced in 12 gauge, is a mess of five brazed joints. Both barrels are just round tubes stacked one atop the other with side plates brazed on each side to cover the V between the barrels and the underlug brazed on to the bottom. It's a five piece breech which the Savage marketing department still called a "monoblock". I guess they can't grasp what "mono" means. Those late versions are very heavy, poorly fitted and finished and they loosen up rather quickly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had one and kick myself for selling it!

It was a .22 MAG/20 GA. I used it when I ran a trap line and it was perfect. Now I'm depressed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts