Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about purchasing a Savage 24 in something like .30-30 over 12 or 20 gauge. This is to be my "fishing rifle". I would like to be prepared for whatever when out fishing. I realize the .30-30 isn't really a bear gun, but it will do in a pinch. I can use slugs for bears and the shotgun has other obvious uses. I was thinking about loading the .30-30 with Barnes X Bullets, and maybe, since it is a single shot, some other .30 caliber bullets like SP, BT, etc. I would sure appreciate opinions on any of this. Thanks!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
A single shot gun, even a rifle/scattergun combo is a recipe for disaster when using it for bear protection, in my opinion. Id rather have a 44mag pistol. Or even a 20ga repeater with slugs. Boy, Id hate to have to be reloading while a bears rushing me, probably die of a heart attack before he got to me.
just my thoughts,
olyeller

·
Banned
105 Posts
Yes, reloading the .30-30 for a single-shot rifle would be interesting to say the least. Possibilities would be using 125 grain spitzers. Softpoints ok. I think boattails would be a waste of money as you'll never get enough performance out of a .30-30 to make the BT a viable asset. Doesn't PMC load a Barnes X-bullet in the .30-30? It's a special bullet just for .30-30 velocities. If you are going to be in bear country with a model 24 I would suggest a good 150 or 170 grain bullet loaded in the rifle tube and a big slug load in the shotgun barrel. I used to have a model 24 years ago. 20" barrels with .22 lr on top and 20 gauge on the bottom. I wish I still had it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
I think if I was going to shoot a .30-30 and could use pointed bullets, I'd use Ballistic Tips (but not for bears). Finally, a cartridge slow enough to keep them from blowing up....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
savage 24

Good info, Cllifford. Thank you. I'll check with PMC on the
Barnes Bullet. I know Safari Arms loads a new Barnes bullet.
I can load it myself also. How about converting the 24 to
.30-30 AI? It shouldn't be any different than converting my
Marlin, should it? :confused:
BTW, I always carry a .44 or .45 Redhawk or Freedom Arms in bear country. I was sort of misleading on my original question. I was just curious about the use of the 24. I would probably take the handgun and the 24 in some seasons. I would be prepared for just about anything. My son has bear problems on his place in Montana, so I emphasized the bear, but I'd probably never hunt bear with a .30-30. However, I could use slugs in the shotgun barrel. I'm tryin to decide whether to get the 20 gauge or the 12. I understand the 12 gauge is a whole lot heavier, and not much fun to carry.
Thanks again. I appreciate the thoughts. :)

kb0yuv Clifford said:
Yes, reloading the .30-30 for a single-shot rifle would be interesting to say the least. Possibilities would be using 125 grain spitzers. Softpoints ok. I think boattails would be a waste of money as you'll never get enough performance out of a .30-30 to make the BT a viable asset. Doesn't PMC load a Barnes X-bullet in the .30-30? It's a special bullet just for .30-30 velocities. If you are going to be in bear country with a model 24 I would suggest a good 150 or 170 grain bullet loaded in the rifle tube and a big slug load in the shotgun barrel. I used to have a model 24 years ago. 20" barrels with .22 lr on top and 20 gauge on the bottom. I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally agree. See my explanation below. I always carry a
large caliber handgun. HOWEVER, I was just wondering about
converting the .30-30 to AI and using Barnes bullets. Just a
curiosity. :rolleyes:
Your comments make me think about some guys on another
site arguing about a fast repeat shot. They were discussing
whether a lever or bolt was fastest. A lot of guys wrote in and
said "One shot, one kill". I'll bet not one of them has ever had to deal with a charging bear that has been shot. Almost
every experienced hunter knows that a bear will sometimes not know it's dead, and keep charging until it does drop. And they can charge quite a distance, putting the hunter within mauling distance. Thanks for the input. :)

olyeller said:
A single shot gun, even a rifle/scattergun combo is a recipe for disaster when using it for bear protection, in my opinion. Id rather have a 44mag pistol. Or even a 20ga repeater with slugs. Boy, Id hate to have to be reloading while a bears rushing me, probably die of a heart attack before he got to me.
just my thoughts,
olyeller

·
36,236 Posts
My opinion only, familiarity with your gun will make more of a difference than action type. And definitely shoot till the gun runs dry. Then reload and put one more behind the ear to be sure.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I suggested the shot barrel carry a slug load so that the model 24 Savage could be used as a double barreled gun, similar to what they used to use in Africa on dangerous game. After you've taken 2 shots on a charging bear I don't think there is going to be much time left, period, no matter what type of action and how many rounds are in the magazine. I've seen film footage of a bear charge. They are fast, to put it mildly.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I saw an article on the Ackley Improved .30-30 not long ago in one of the better known gun magazines. I can't find it right now and don't remember where it was I saw it. It came out in the last month or two.

·
Registered
716 Posts
6.5x55 / 12 gage combo

My first choice would be a Brwoning BLR in .450 Marlin. My second choice would be a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 or .450 Marlin. However, if I had my heart set on a rifle/shotgun combo I would seriously look at the Russian made Baikal. I would prefer the 30-06 / 12 gage but the very best price that I have found on one is 6.5x55/12ga. or a 7x57R/12ga. sold by cdnninvestments.com

The 6.5x55 handloaded with Nosler Partitions or the Hornady 160 grain round nose has more thump than anything that can be loaded into a 30-30. For the 12 gage barrel I would opt for a 000 buckshot 3 inch magnum load. The Baikal combo gun has double triggers so you could fire both barrels at the same time then quickly reach for your six-shooter to finish it off, if required.

Good luck with your decision.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,964 Posts
Years ago, I reloaded for a friend's 24 with 30-30 and 12 ga. We put 165 gr flat base spitzers in the rifle tube and they shot like gangbusters. He used it for deer in Texas out of a stand. Said every whitetail dropped as if hit with a 16 lb sledgehammer between the eyes.

Don't know how fast a charging grizzly would drop!

·
36,236 Posts
Forget buckshot for a griz load. That's just asking for trouble, unless you can put one through the eye socket. Not to stir the flames.... I'll admit to not having shot any charging grizzleys but consider that buckshot doesn't always make it through a whitetail deer, or small hogs. Now consider how tough the hide is on a bear and how much thicker the bones are. Most buckshot is pretty soft. Maybe cast out of wheelweights it might work better, just a thought. Hard slugs - like Breneke - if you're going to carry a shotgun. I think Mr. Gates "Terminator" slug would be a terrific start.

Maybe the O/U needs a bayonet mount? (LOL) Only half kidding on that point.

I do like the idea of a "Guide Gun" when the woods are thick and I'm not at the top of the food chain, though.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Bear Loads

MikeG,

Point well taken and thanks for the info. As far as the flames are concerned, I will leave that to the habitual stirrers on the Big Bore board.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Buckshot vs Slug

MikeG,

I have a good friend who recently retired from the U. S. Navy where he was a Physicist. During the later part of the Cold War he had annual assignments to the Polar ice cap and surrounding pack ice. For security reasons he never disclosed the nature of his assignment but I am of the opinion that they were hunting Soviet submarines under the ice.

He was issued a weapon for protection against polar bears. That weapon was a Remington 870 12 gage pump shotgun loaded alternately with buckshot and slugs. The man's weapon was required to be with them at all times.

When I recommended the 6.5x55/12ga. combo gun loaded with 000 buckshot it was based on my friends experience in polar bear country.

Once again your point is well taken in that buckshot is not a very good penetrator but IMO a face or throat full of 0, 00 or 000 buckshot will ruin any bear's day. (no flame stirring intended).

·
36,236 Posts
Hey Nitro,

If I had a 5-shot mag tube I wouldn't care if it was both buckshot and slugs. You can empty a pump shotgun in a hurry when you have to.

One shot only, I'd want the biggest hunk of lead I could fling.

Hopefully won't have to deal with the issue personally.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spitzer

I'm thinking of converting the 24 into .30-30 improved and loading with Barnes bullets, and/or spitzers. Since it is a
single shot, I can use most any bullet. What do you guys
reccommend? Remember, this is NOT my only gun. I always wear a big caliber, double
action revolver. I kinda get a kick out of the guys who say
a .30-30 isn't enough gun (and they are probably correct), but
then they recommend a .44 mag handgun. C'mon guys, the
.30-30 will do a better job any time.

kdub said:
Years ago, I reloaded for a friend's 24 with 30-30 and 12 ga. We put 165 gr flat base spitzers in the rifle tube and they shot like gangbusters. He used it for deer in Texas out of a stand. Said every whitetail dropped as if hit with a 16 lb sledgehammer between the eyes.

Don't know how fast a charging grizzly would drop!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts