Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,136 Posts
Patrick,
Bob Banta, over here in Couer d'Alene has done work for me. His shop is his basement, he's not fancy but has done good solid work for me. I would give him a call and see if he has the Ackley reamer. He has most of them I think! His number is in the white pages, I don't have it handy at the moment. If you can't find it, let me know. ID

K

·
0 Posts
Good article on the Savage 24. I have a 24H-DL, in .22lr/20 ga. I bought it brand new, years (and years) ago. I went into the local hardware for a box of 20 ga. for my Cooey single shot, and the guy figured I should have the beautiful little Savage. So did I!! I love that little gun, and use it exclusively for hunting ruffed grouse (bush partridge in our area) and prairie chicken. The finish is worn off from many thousands of miles riding around in my truck and from carrying, but it is still my favorite. I wouldn't mind having a 30-30/20 ga. Ah, what the heck.... and a .223/20, and a .22/410.

J

·
0 Posts
kjohn said:
Good article on the Savage 24. I have a 24H-DL, in .22lr/20 ga. I bought it brand new, years (and years) ago. I went into the local hardware for a box of 20 ga. for my Cooey single shot, and the guy figured I should have the beautiful little Savage. So did I!! I love that little gun, and use it exclusively for hunting ruffed grouse (bush partridge in our area) and prairie chicken. The finish is worn off from many thousands of miles riding around in my truck and from carrying, but it is still my favorite. I wouldn't mind having a 30-30/20 ga. Ah, what the heck.... and a .223/20, and a .22/410.
I just brought home two of these guns, one is a 24B-DL in .22mag/20 gauge and the other is an unfired model 242 in .410 over/under... My boss just gave them to me as a bonus for all the work I've been doing nights and weekends to reorganize our Inventory & FFL paperwork... My Father just found a 24C (I think) in .22LR/.410 down in AZ for me and he already has a 24V in .30-30/20 gauge that his Father left to him thirty years ago... I learned to shoot on a .22mag/.410 on my Grandfather's Cranberry Bog almost 40 years ago and got my first Deer and first Turkey(on the same day) with the .30-30/20 gauge 35 years ago (hunting with my Grandad). It's a good start on owning as many variations of this gun as I can find... It's nice to know that other folks appreciate these great little guns...

Jon Hathaway

·
Registered
1 Posts
I enjoyed the Savage 24 article but have a question on the cartridge holder sling with the three pouches. Does anyone know who makes this sling? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
vdeal said:
I enjoyed the Savage 24 article but have a question on the cartridge holder sling with the three pouches. Does anyone know who makes this sling? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.
I'm not surprised you can't find the sling! Neither could I find what I wanted, to I made the sling in the photographs. It sure has worked out slick over the last decade and a half! My only regret is that I didn't make one years before! Instead I looked for something similar for several years.

Actually I've made several of those slings in slightly different dimensional shifts to accomodate various cartridges. I've found that not only is your ammo handy, always accessible, but organized as well, small game loads separated from serious hunting loads. For me, the model 24 30-30/20ga set up with a butstock shotshell carrier and the ammo sling is all I need when I head out the back door of the shop for a whole afternoon of hunting! I'm set for anything from whitetails and black bear to turkeys grouse and showshoe bunnies.

Just get creative. That sling in the photo began life as a too-small leather belt from a local thrift store ( fifty-cents ) and leather from the tops of a pair of cast-off worn-out leather boots! The snaps are found in any good craft or fabric store ( along with the necessary setter ) and I sewed the whole shebang on my wife's sewing machine using a good leather needle also found in the fabric store. Use either rubber cement or barge cement to hold the leather pieces in place while you sew them.

God bless,

·
Banned
9 Posts
Could someone tell me where I can find the article referred to in this thread that was written by Marshall Stanton. I have a 24 F .22 Hornet/20ga.. Really like it. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not surprised you can't find the sling! Neither could I find what I wanted, to I made the sling in the photographs. It sure has worked out slick over the last decade and a half! My only regret is that I didn't make one years before! Instead I looked for something similar for several years.

Actually I've made several of those slings in slightly different dimensional shifts to accomodate various cartridges. I've found that not only is your ammo handy, always accessible, but organized as well, small game loads separated from serious hunting loads. For me, the model 24 30-30/20ga set up with a butstock shotshell carrier and the ammo sling is all I need when I head out the back door of the shop for a whole afternoon of hunting! I'm set for anything from whitetails and black bear to turkeys grouse and showshoe bunnies.

Just get creative. That sling in the photo began life as a too-small leather belt from a local thrift store ( fifty-cents ) and leather from the tops of a pair of cast-off worn-out leather boots! The snaps are found in any good craft or fabric store ( along with the necessary setter ) and I sewed the whole shebang on my wife's sewing machine using a good leather needle also found in the fabric store. Use either rubber cement or barge cement to hold the leather pieces in place while you sew them.

God bless,
Hi Marshall,

I was wondering myself where you got the barrel clamp type sling swivel mounts. I have a couple for .410 size and levergun tubes but can't find one for my 20 gauge M24 barrel.

I have made the slings out of belts also and they work great. Tied the ends together with those screw together brass rivets from Ace hardware

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,885 Posts
New Tire -

Marshall is the board owner and extremely busy casting bullets for his many customers right now. It may be a long while before he gets around to perusing the board again.

You might try Michaels of Oregon or Williams for the barrel clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts