Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting one of the new savage rilfes to play with. It will be a heavy barrel .308 with the new trigger. This would be the one:click here

Either this or the stainless variant. I would like to know what experiences you have had with recent Savage rifles. I have a Scout rifle from them and the accuracy is great, it's also a handy lightweight rifle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Savage rifles

I have seen and worked with many Savage centerfire rifle over the last few years. They always strike me as being very strongly built and very accurate shooters. The only points I can hold against them (these are only my personal dislikes, not an actuall failing of the rifle) is their generally tough triggers (lawyer proofing) and lack of asthetics.
Overall I rate them very good and I I were looking to buy a modern rifle I would look at them quite seriously.

VR/
William R. Skora :)

Deo et Libertas in Aeturnum

·
Registered
302 Posts
kciH, last year I bought the savage in 308, heavy bbl (police tactical model), put a decent scope on it and a guy bought it from me before I had a chance to fire a round. He took it out and using a friends handloads kept some 3" groups at 7 & 800 yds. Accourding(sp) to the Savage web site all of their new rifles will be comming out with adjustable triggers this year. Am looking at picking up a 06, just to have one (have a lot of brass and several thousand rounds of cast and jacketed bullets that are taking up space):D
Price wise their a lot cheaper than the Rems, and Rugers and Wins, but their quality seems quite good.

Gun Runner

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
A good friend also has a .308 Scout and it has proven to be very accurate. This is really a consistent thread throughout any discussion of Savages. My only concern is how the bolt handle is attached to the bolt body. I have heard/read of a couple instances where the two separated under very cold conditions.

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
Have used a couple of Savages, still have two. The rifles have a good reputaion for shooting well. The only complaints have centered around (1) stype and (2) the trigger. The trigger is adjustable and an easy fix to get a decent trigger pull (although I understand this years have an "improved" trigger that I've not yet had a chance to see). Style is a personal thing...but it always makes me laugh when one of the black sysnthetic stocked wanna-bee snipers compalins about style.

A word about adjusting triggers: err on the safe side. If the rifle, cocked and off safe, can't stand a hard wack on the muzzle or butt with a big rubber hammer or being dropped on it's butt from 4feet to a carpeted floor, make it do so. A LOT of triggers in all brands have been tinkered with so that they won't pass this test...don't.

Lets put it this way, if i were to buy a new 308 bolt gun, it would probably be the same Savage you are looking at.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I adjusted the trigger on my Scout, with the help of someone in the know, and the means we used to test it was to slam the bolt shut and hit the buttstock on concrete with a bit of force. Both of those tests where repeated at least 10 times to ensure there wasn't an issue. I think the biggest thing with the old Savage triggers, or most in general, is not to mess with the engagement if possible. It's my understanding that's where most of the problems arise, as far as safety is concerned. The new trigger is one of the main reasons I'd like to try out the new rifle. Additionally, I'm curious to see what kind of accuracy is there. I've shot my Scout mainly with the ghost ring, but I sometimes put a 2x handgun scope in the scout mounts, which is far more cost effective than buying a Scout scope for these rifles. With the scope I had some VERY encouraging 200yd groups when firing at a inverted V style target that works well with low-powered optics. I think this rifle would also be a good choice to develop some long range skills and to learn the effects of different conditions on trajectory. It would be a relativley inexpensive rifle to shoot, with moderate recoil in a heavier rifle. I like that Scout a great deal, but I never thought a .308 would tag you quite that hard. You notice it after a few boxes. The wispy barrel on the Scout heats up in a hurry also.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Hey Kcih
You will be well pleased when you get that new toy and get out there playing around with it, you will get this great big grin thats gonna come up on your face...LOL
Hope you enjoy it when you get it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts