Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a Savage 340 that I want to convert to 44 Mag. Does anyone out there know where I can find a barrel?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
OK, I have a Savage 340 that I want to convert to 44 Mag. Does anyone out there know where I can find a barrel?

Thanks
I seriously doubt if a Savage Model 340 can be converted to .44 Magnum. If your 340 is chambered for the .225 Win. or .30-30 you might develop a wildcat cartridge based on these two in a .44 caliber cartridge. Also you might consider the .444 Marlin, but again it would take a lot of modifications especially the magazine & bolt face. Remington chambered their Model 788 in .44 Mag. but these are rare. Ruger currently chambers their Model 77/.44 in .44 Mag. which is a bolt action.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I too think you're barking up the wrong tree with the 340. You might be better served with a Savage model 10 as a platform? Not even sure about that.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

Thanks

You might be on to something.

Now, without an example in hand to look at, I cannot say for sure whether the .44 Mag could be fed reliably through the 340 action, or what mods might be needed to make it work. But they are both rimmed, and rim diameters are reasonably close. No question the action has the strength for .44 pressures.

The barrel might be the fly in the ointment. I am not awaare of any source of ready-made barrels; but I believe if I were thinking on this project I would look in to what it would cost to get the original barrel bored out and re-rifled.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Remington chambered their Model 788 in .44 Mag. but these are rare.

According to Remington's web site they indeed did chamber the 788 in .44Mag. The other chamberings that were offered in 1967, when the rifle was introduced, was .222, 22-250, and 30-30. I personally have never seen one in .44mag, which was manufactured from '67-'70.

Like the others mentioned, switching that model 340 to .44mag would be a major piece of work and hardly worth the effort. Just my honest opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts