Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flipping through the Midway gunsmithing catalog recently and found something that grabbed my eye. Adams and Bennet puts out replacement barrels that are finish chambered for the Savage 110 since it headspaces with the barrel nut. It had a listing for several different cartridges and said that all should work well with a .30-06 bolt face (.473"). One of the calibers listed was the 416 Taylor. I know I'm new to the rebarreling stuff and I might be wrong, but isn't this cartridge based on the .458 Win Mag case with a .532" case head diameter? Would this still fit the .473" bolt face? If not, would it be possible to simply buy a new bolt and have a switch barrel rifle?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
I am pretty sure that the .416 Taylor is a necked-down .458 Win mag, or a belted magnum of some sort, if not the .458. I may be confusing it with the .416 Hoffman.

So yes you would need a new bolt. Like you said, headspace is easy to adjust on the Savage rifles so shouldn't be a big deal, if you can find someone who will sell you the bolt.

You may also need a different magazine for the fatter belted case.

Jack, you're quick!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
The 416 Taylor is indeed the 416-338 Winchester Magnum. Or so were the first rifles made bearing the Taylor insignia. John Wooters wrote at length on this cartridge some years ago. I can't exactly remember the reasoning for using the 338 case for forming instead of necking down the 458, but all of the cases for the guns Wooters wrote about used the 338 Win Mag as the parent case.

I suspect the Midway inclusion of it for an '06 based rifle is a misprint as the Taylor is a decendent of the belted magnum, or they expect the customer to have the bolt face opened up.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
It's been a few years since I disassembled a Savage 110 bolt, but I think I could swap heads on the bolt in 5-10 minutes, at least on the old style ones. Swapping detachable magazines is a no-brainer and Frank de Hass has plans for a barrel nut wrench in his book "Bolt-Action Rifles". This looks almost too easy.

http://www.gunuts.com/gunuts/images/79.jpg

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering about getting a new bolt head. I've seen them for sale for around $20 on a website. The bolt doesn't look hard to disassemble and as long as the new bolt face will fit the old bolt it should work. I've also found savage barrels for sale for $64 on the same website. As long everything fits, $84 plus shipping's is a excellent deal for a second caliber for a switch-barrel rifle.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Well Gents,
Guess if you pay attention around here you learn something new everyday. I didn't realize the bolt face could be swapped out! My bad, guess that changes rules, eh? Thanks for the info Jack and JS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts