Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy at work has a Savage 842 in 30-30 Win. He wants $275 for it. Are they decent guns? If I handload will I run into any problems? Can I shoot them hot or should I stay on the conservative end with handloads?

Any comments welcome. I have never heard of a bolt action 30-30. I am hesitant about it because I know nothing about them.

Thanks!

Darin

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,717 Posts
One lug. Some similar models are probably the 340 and 840(?) with maybe the Stevens 325 thrown in. I'll bet it looks a lot like one of these:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Savage_340.htm

I wouldn't get carried away with loads for it. They were known to stick cases with hotter chamberings (ie 225 Win).

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
A guy at work has a Savage 842 in 30-30 Win. He wants $275 for it. Are they decent guns? If I handload will I run into any problems? Can I shoot them hot or should I stay on the conservative end with handloads?

Any comments welcome. I have never heard of a bolt action 30-30. I am hesitant about it because I know nothing about them.

Thanks!

Darin
My very first centerfire rifle was a Savage 340, and I can't recall the price, but it was about $40 with a 4X weaver. Roughly a month of muskrats at the time.

It took about 4 years of continuous fire to wear it out with surplus H4895, and a few buckets of Speer and Sierra 100-110gr bullets. It was extermely accurate.

If it's in good shape, $275 might be a bit high, but not ridiculous.

You can use top end .30-30 loads without a problem, but you definately shouldn't exceed them, the design is for .30-30 pressures, not more. It would work fine with 130gr bullets for deer if you wanted to stretch the range to 250yds or so, but stick with loads listed, not more than.

Savage makes good rifles, and that design was for the working guy hunter that needed a reliable and accurate deer rifle. It worked well for that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Check the trigger . The 340 triggers were really bad and they are an odd design where nothing can be done to improve them. But I handle one in 223 last week where the trigger wasn't bad at all. They are very accurate ,plus you can use pointy bullets.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 30-30 and a .222. Both have decent triggers and shoot great. Maybe a bit high for 30-30 but the .222 and 22 hornet bring higher prices. if you like it get it, I think they are asking more than that on auction sites.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
One lug. Some similar models are probably the 340 and 840(?) with maybe the Stevens 325 thrown in. I'll bet it looks a lot like one of these:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Savage_340.htm

I wouldn't get carried away with loads for it. They were known to stick cases with hotter chamberings (ie 225 Win).
I have long wished for a 30/30 bolt-action, but not if it's going to be THAT cussed ugly! That gun looks like something I'd make a cant hook out of, not take to a public shooting range. :)

FWIW - The 225 Winchester uses brass that is similar to the 30/30, but runs at MUCH higher pressures, so even the hottest 30/30 loads aren't as likely to be sticky as the 225.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,717 Posts
Well, that was probably Winchester's theory, but I've seen the complaints on the forum. Think that the .225 was just 'iffy' in that gun and some had trouble and some didn't.

Regardless..... a clear sign to not hot-rod the .30-30 case. And I'd agree with you on the aesthetics.....

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I have long wished for a 30/30 bolt-action, but not if it's going to be THAT cussed ugly! That gun looks like something I'd make a cant hook out of, not take to a public shooting range. :)quote]

So broom_jm, how do you really feel about the 340/842's :)

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I once owned a Remington Model 788 in .30-30 Win, and it was a very accurate rifle. Also had a Savage Model 340 in .22 Hornet which also a great rifle. Too bad they don't make a .30-30 bolt action anymore as they are more "Shooter Friendly" than your lever actions.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I have long wished for a 30/30 bolt-action, but not if it's going to be THAT cussed ugly! That gun looks like something I'd make a cant hook out of, not take to a public shooting range. quote]

So broom_jm, how do you really feel about the 340/842's

TMan, that gun reminds of something I woke up next to, after a night of drinking way too much tequila...'bout gnawed my own arm off to get away without wakin' her up! :eek:

OK, just kidding, but that gun looks like something built with a broadaxe and blacksmith's hammer.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
OK, just kidding, but that gun looks like something built with a broadaxe and blacksmith's hammer.
It was, but it was my first real rifle, and it shot like a champ. I remember it well. Much like my first girlfriend.

Come to think of it, she was kinda homely too :D

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Oh, I'm just funnin' with ya. I've got a 91/30 MN and a 7.7 Arisaka...bolt-action guns don't get much uglier than those two.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not a bad gun or price !!! The accuracy will surprise you !!!! I think Boyd's sells a laminate replacement stock for around $70.00 bucks. HD1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts