Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK -
I have red all the threads on scope mounts for the Savage 99, and no joy.
I have 1937 Savage 99 chambered in .300 Savage.
There is not a scope mount I have found that will match up to the factory holes.
That is after purchasing three guaranteed to fit.
I am loathe to drill holes in this rifle.
Does anyone have an idea?

Tom

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
Did Savage drill and tap the M99 that early? I suspect somebody bought some scope mount and drilled to fit, but it didn't because they're in the wrong place. The rear of the M99 is sloped downward. If the mount is wrong the elevation will be wrong. SO, what mounts have you got and we'll try to find a way to tell what's what. I have a take-down action #217xxx that is not drilled.
THe important holes are the front ones in the front ring. If they're correct, you need a one piece, steel base (Like the Leupold on ebay now). You may have to have one hole drilled in the rear end. Murphy says it'll be a half hole off....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did Savage drill and tap the M99 that early? I suspect somebody bought some scope mount and drilled to fit, but it didn't because they're in the wrong place. The rear of the M99 is sloped downward. If the mount is wrong the elevation will be wrong. SO, what mounts have you got and we'll try to find a way to tell what's what. I have a take-down action #217xxx that is not drilled.
THe important holes are the front ones in the front ring. If they're correct, you need a one piece, steel base (Like the Leupold on ebay now). You may have to have one hole drilled in the rear end. Murphy says it'll be a half hole off....
Mr Belk,
I’ll have to take some pictures. It is drilled and plug screwed. Probably won’t get to it until after Easter. I was hoping someone would say, “you need a Schmedlap model 12” or some such. Thank you for you quick response.
Happy Easter,
Tom

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,469 Posts
Redfield used to make two piece mounts, but I'm not sure if they are still available.

RJ

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
Ternst3-- I just ran across a box of about fifty NOS Redfield JR bases. Measure from the rear of the front ring to the first scope screw and the distance between the holes. Of course the mounts are in a narrow box sideways instead of label end up! :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ternst3-- I just ran across a box of about fifty NOS Redfield JR bases. Measure from the rear of the front ring to the first scope screw and the distance between the holes. Of course the mounts are in a narrow box sideways instead of label end up! :(
Damn, you.re better than Numrich, lol:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts