Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

I have noticed you Americans have a great affection for these "odd" rifles ! I say odd for they seem almost a half breed, modern high velocity cartridges in an action (lever) that is normally associated with low pressure rounds.

I have heard many good things of these rifles yet ! I have the impression that they are no longer made ??? If they are so blooming wonderful ;) why were they discontinued ?? :rolleyes:

To be serious i would be greatful if to know a little history about these rifles , when they came into being and when they ceased ? From my search on a auction site they seem to go back a good few years and vary greatly in wood finnish etc......

You guys got me interested !
:eek:

Englander :D

·
Banned
556 Posts
They are a "turn of the century" design that was too good to die, until recently. It was in the first generation of spitzer rifles and satisfied Americans affinity to the levergun. Homely IMHO, but they are very significant -- if nothing else than the .300 Savage (once considered the "ideal" deer cartridge) is the basis for the 7.62 NATO/.308win.

I have always equated them with steady, quiet, competent souls that know what they are about. In .300 Savage, it still ranks as one of the best eastern US deer rifles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ENGLANDER
Try out this link! It may answer some of your questions about the Great Savage 99!!

www.savage99.com

We would be happy to have you join us in enjoying these fine guns!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Englander. While growing up the Savage 99 series and Win. 94's were as commond as fleas on a hound. A lot of the 99's were 250/3000's and 300 savage. I started my shooting on a 250/3000 (after the .22), went to the 300, and finally a Win 94 30/30. As stated in an early post in another section was lucky enought to have a 1899 savage (30/30) handed down to me from my wifes father. This will in turn be handed down to my daughter in latter years. Its worn smooth on the stock and no blueing left but it has class and history. It is one of the guns I have that have a not for sale sign in the family.

Reguards Gun Runner

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
ENGLANDER
Lever guns to and American are what the Double rifle is to a Britt. It's a piece of our heritidge!! Nothing like a smooth lever gun. Easy to carry, lots of fire power when needed-some of the critters that used to be plentiful liked to chew on folks.
The lone cowboy- needing to defend his homestead. I could go on and on . :D

·
Registered
872 Posts
Gentlemen,

The first time i saw a 99, i thought it was the ugliest rifle that i had ever laid eyes on. Like everything else, when i knew the whole story, i had to have one. Youth is for the young, I suppose.

They come up to the shoulder like a fine shotgun, Light and heavy in the right places, do not kick at all, and are fairly accuratte. My 300 will go routinely at around 1.5".

An old timer showed me how to flex my hand to cycle the action, while keeping my thumb on top of the stock, and not moving my cheek weld. follow up shots are as fast as I can cycle any weapon, using this technique.

They do prefer bullets with a short ogive, and aren't real fond of heavy weights that are loaded close to max c.o.l. I had trouble with bullets that had long ogives, and have settled on the speer fp 150 over the speer max load of 4064, and am getting good enough results that i don't aim to switch.

Looking forward to grandkids, so I can will my 99s to them, but while i'm around, reckon they have a place in my vault anytime.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a old Model 99 300 Savage 1950's error, this is my deer rifle,brass rotary,bullet counter, Simply a neckdown 30/06 good knock down power, I have not had a deer walk or run away after being hit from it yet;) I noticed using factory loads the Remington 180 coreloks work very well in the action with great accuracy, Winchester silvertips get jammed after a while, the tips bend ramping into the chamber:( This rifle was designed for Deer/elk very light and easy to carry. I was told bye a gunsmith the 300 was the womans version to the 308 model Savage a lighter package, I'm not sure if this is true. aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Englander,

If you noticed the Savage 99 has a strong an loyal following! Prior to the Savage 110 if you were left handed this was the only modern rifle/cartridge combination you could use well.
The .300 Savage, .303 British and .307 Winchester are all about equal in power. There really are no better cartridges for the average hunter of deer - black bear etc.

Someone pointed out how the 99 leaps to your shoulder like a shotgun. The 99 is great for fast shooting. The action snaps open after the shot, responding instantly to your fingers. The action cocks on closeing which requires a little getting used to but it is fast once you get some experiance with it.

When you find the bullets your rifle likes and the load that suits it they can be surprisingly accurate also. This is particularly true of the .358 Winchesters>

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Englander,

You can see a common thread above that helps to answer your question on why the Model 99 is no more. Many, many hunters thought it was odd-looking compared to their tried & true Winchesters and Marlins. What they didn't realize were the many superior features of the Savage: higher performance cartridges, a rotary magazine that allowed for spitzers and didn't hang off the barrel, ease of scope mounting, etc. It was far and away the state of the art sporting rifle until at least WWI.

Another problem that vexed the Model 99 was its cost compared to other lever actions. It cost the factory more to build and that was passed on to the consumer. Depending on the era, Model 99's cost significantly more than comparable Winchesters or Marlins.

I think they are the finest lever action, if not sporting rifle, ever made. I've owned a few and hope to add more as funds and availability of clean specimans allow. I've never fired one that didn't shoot very well indeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts