Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gang, what are your opinions, experiences, etc., of the Savage 99f in .308 Win. I have a chance to pick one up at my local gunshop for a very reasonable price ($250.00). This one has the rotary magazine and cartridge counter. The barrel is in very good condition while the outside finish shows some wear. It is currently scoped with an old 4X Bushnell that will be removed if I get it. It does not have the rear sight. My only question is can the trigger be worked on as it is fairly heavy but does break clean with no creep and who can recommend a gunsmith who works on the Savage 99s? Thanks....RW

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Classy little lever especially in the .308. One of the guys in our club lets folks use one when they come visit and need a gun. He had a friend refinish his and it looks great. The price is right.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I also have one, and I sure like mine! Buy, Buy it now! The trigger on mine is 4lbs. and clean.    doug

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Grab it and run for the door before the gun shop gang knows you got it! The Savage 99 is arguably the finest sporting rifle ever made and in .308 Winchester will allow you to hunt anything in the Lower 48 plus most of Alaska. Before seeking a custom smith for trigger work, I'd give the gun a complete disassembly and thorough cleaning. There is a good chance that will greatly improve your trigger action. I know it certainly did with my own pre-war 99F takedown.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies everyone.  I just bought the Savage.  On further investigation I see it has a 4x scope that has Wolverine name on it.  Is this a Weaver or Lyman scope?  Anything else I should know about the Savage 99s?  I will really give it a good cleaning when I bring it home and see what the trigger does plus check out its accuracy....RW

·
Banned
554 Posts
I think you could make a really good argument that a 99 in .308 is probably "the perfect" deer rifle...  

They aren't eye-sweet, but they do meet nearly every requirement without compromise.

Good luck with it!

Charlie

·
Registered
871 Posts
Congrats,

No sir, they are not much to look at, and aquired taste, no doubt, but the looks of the rifle really grows on you.  I think you got a great deal, as well.

I got used to the trigger on mine fairly easy, and can shoot it fairly well, so i expect a little breaking in and some practice, and it should be allright.  Other than the trigger, i have one other thing that i am not crazy about on the rifle, and it may be just my rifles, but the comb on top of the stock is not quite high enough, and that causes me to loosen my cheek weld a little to get a good sight picture.  I have to re-learn that every now and then, especially prior to going on a serious hunt.  Other than that, they are just ducky.

My favorite things about the rifles are how well balanced they are, and how a fellow can run the action fast as lightening while maintaining his shoulder weld, and without taking his eye off his sights.  Once shouldered, those things are fast.  

Hope it works out for you,

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts